Why Did my Breasts Open Underneath Leaving a Deep Hole?

I received a breast reduction 10 days ago. Now I have a deep open hole under both breasts. I want to know if they can be can be closed. The doctor wants me to put damp gauze in the incision several times a day with a pad. What can be done? Thank yoy

Wound issues after reduction

+1

are quite common and your surgeon  is treating you appropriately to allow that wound to heal.  You cannot simply suture the skin edges at this point.  I think you will be surprised as how well it does heal but revisions can always be pursued down the road if needed.

Open wound after Breast Reduction

+1

I am sorry to hear about your wound healing issue.   I would also recommend conservative wound care, such as the wet to dry dressing, until your incision completely heals.  After 6 months, it is then safe to perform an in office scar revision.    Wound healing issues require a lot of patience as they do take time to fully heal.   It is difficult to say how long without seeing a picture.    

It is important to give the wound time to soften prior to revision or the risk of further wound healing problems or infection can escalate.   Please be patient and stick to your plastic sugeon's wound care rec's very carefully.  I wish you a safe recovery.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Wound break down from a breast reduction

+1

The most common location for ischemic wound breakdown from a breast reduction is at the base of the inverted T.  This is the area that is the furthest from the blood supply and under the most tension. 

Open wound on breast after reduction

+1

I have seen this happen a few times after a breast reduction.  It commonly occurs at the junction of the inverted-T skin edge closure.  It occurs because the poor blood flow in the skin and tissue flaps created during the surgery.  Things that can contribute to poor blood flow are 1. too much undermining of the tissues during the reduction, 2. too thin of skin flaps created, 3. history of smoking 4. vascular disease from various causes (such as diabetes), 5. too tight of a skin closure, 6. garments and bandages that are too tight that are placed after surgery.  And sometimes it occurs even if the above have been avoided. 

The best line of treatment after a wound has established is usually conservative wound care with frequent dressing changes and wound debridements (cleainings).  Occasionally antibiotics are needed if there are signs of infection.  The wound can take several months to heal completely.  It will most likely leave a scar that you or your surgeon may want to revise and improve.  I usually wait about 6 months after the wound has completely healed over before revising the scar   This scar revision surgery could be done under a local anesthesia if it is not too complex. 

An immediate direct closure of the wounds will most likely fail and the wound will recur. 

Thanks for your question.  All the best!

Steven Svehlak, MD

Breast Reduction Incision Opening

+1
Thank you for your question. The bottom part of the T incision of a breast reduction has the greatest amount of tension and the blood supply is put under stress.  This leads to either delayed healing in some cases and separation in others.  Wound care as you are doing until healing progresses is the appropriate treatment.  If there are no pre-existing risk factors for separation such as smoking, diabetes, or excessive tension then delayed closure can be appropriate in some patients.  You will need to discuss your individual situation with your surgeon.  The good news is that despite this problem, most patients do very well and still have a good outcome.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

A deep hole on the breast reduction incision

+1

From your description, it seems like you have a small wound dehiscence at the T-juction  where 3 scars meet.  The T-juction is a weak/stress point of your incision and it can break down.  It seems like you are doing the right thing.  You should  continue to follow your plastic surgeon's recommendation on local wound care; it should heal with time.

Sugene Kim, MD