Did I Mess Up my Nose, Because I Bled?

I had rhinoplasty 4 weeks ago. I've been using q-tips to pick out the dried boogers and once exactly a month after my operation I couldn't find a q tip so I used a toothpick and started bleeding. I was careful so I did not stab my self or poke too hard on my nose I was just using it to dislodge the long piece of dried boogers that was preventing me from breathing properly. So basically 1 month after my operation I bled, but I did not bleed too much. Did I ruin my nose?

Using A Toothpick To Clean Nose After Rhinoplasty

+2

Based on your description, I do not think that you have caused damage to your nose but the "tools" you have used in the "cleaning" process are not recommended whatsoever.

If you were to be in a situation where you have dried nasal secretions blocking your nasal airways hence causing a difficulty in breathing, it is of your best interest to contact your surgeon who could manually clear your nasal airways or recommend the usage of a saline nasal spray to help with the cleaning and to keep your nasal mucosa humid to prevent bleeding.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Post Rhinoplasty Cleaning of Nose

+2

Keep the cleaning of your nose to your surgeons office and leave the q-tips in the bathroom drawer. If your nose is dry and you have difficulties with "boogers' blocking your nasal passages I would discuss with your surgeon the possibility of using a saline nasal spray for moisture. From the situation discussed I do not think you did anything to hurt your final result. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Nose Bleed

+1

Have you contacted your surgeon?  Postoperative instructions with your physician is a strong recommendation here.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cleaning Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Most likely you did not ruin your nose, but it is not recommended to use a toothpick to clean your nose. The slight bleeding will not disturb the healing process, but be careful when dealing with the entire area as it still tender.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Nasal issues

+1

I will often have patients use a q-tip after the splint is removed( after 1 week) and only after going in the shower to soften the mucous up.  Trying to remove dry mucous may cause bleeding on newly treated surfaces after surgery.