Did I Mess Up my Juvederm?

I had one syringe injected into my nasolabial folds today. About an hour after my injection, my friend, who has had juvederm several times at the same place, told me to make sure to gently massage the area with one finger in my mouth and one on the injected area to get the lumps out. Then I read later today you should never massage the area cause it can displace the juvederm. Did I just totally screw it up?

Post Juverderm Massaging?

+1

Thank you for your question. It is best to have your provider do the actual massaging to sculpt it into place for the best results. At this point, I would leave the treated area alone and go back to your provider for a follow up so they can best assess the area for you. I hope this helps!

Bay Area Dermatologist

Juvederm Massage

+1

Usually the injector should make sure that there are no lumps or bumps after the injection is complete.  However, massage of residual lumps is reasonable.  The key is to massage in small area and not displace product. 

Does Massage mess up Juvederm?

+1

Best advice it to leave it alone if you are happy with the results. But if you see lumps or feel that something is uneven massage is the typical remedy. So don't worry about it now. As long as it looks good no harm done.

Juvederm for nasolabial folds

+1

Wait for two weeks to see if you are pleased with your results.  If not, return to your doctor for assessment.  You should not massage Juvederm on your own after treatment.

Toronto Dermatologist

Massage After Juvederm

+1

Injectable fillers, like Juvederm and Restlane, do a good job staying where they are injected and don’t  move around your face much with gentle massage. In our San Francisco Bay Area practice we recommend gentle massage to help to soften lumps if they are felt after injection (which can be a lump of product or localized swelling) but doing do does not displace the product in a way that ruins the results.

Web reference: http://www.trivalleyplasticsurgery.com/

Massaging Juvederm

+1

In the future, I would not massage the Juvederm without asking your surgeon first. While massaging the Juvederm can smooth the lumps, it can also move it to a place that you do not want it.  The question of whether you have messed anything up will be answered when you look in the mirror.  If you like what you see then no harm done.  If not, you may need to see your surgeon about touching it up.  Don't worry though!  If Juvederm has been moved out of place, it can easily be removed with a medicine called hyaluronidase that your surgeon likely has.  Good luck.

Massaging Juvederm following treatment

+1

In general, it is best to leave the area alone following treatment. It is difficult to tell without examining you, but it is unlikely you altered the Juvederm. I would recommend visiting your physician who performed the injections to make sure everything is ok. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Web reference: http://www.spaldingplasticsurgery.com/fillers-and-injectable/juvederm/

Juvederm in the smile lines

+1

Dear unicorn79,

• How does it look? if it looks fine (except for lumps), it will be fine
  • It should not affect the look at much, the lumps will smooth out over the next 1-2 weeks

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Massaging fillers like juvederm

+1

I generally do not advise massage filler, and certainly not Botox. The only situation to massage is if within 2 weeks of injecting Juvederm or Restylane or another filler, if you feel there is a lump or nodule, then you can massage it down with firm pressure between two fingers. If the nodule persists, see your dermatologist for hyaluronidase treatments to dissolve the nodule.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and masssage

+1

I wil tell my patients that if they feel a lump the next day or two after the procedure that they can gently massage it to flatten it. I do not think it is always a great idea to massage the area for other reasons because it may flatten or affect the correction.  Best to ask your doctor.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.