I had a laser treatment done on my lower legs and knees and right after felt extreme pain. I have used cold compress and aloe on the area for three hours. The pain is gone but the area is red. I am white but have a lot of sun spots every where due to years of sun bathing. Can you tell me what should I be expecting in days to come? I am freckelish every where. Will I lose the freckles?
Did Laser on my Lower Legs and Immediately After Felt Extreme Burn?
Doctor Answers (3)
Post Laser Hair Removal Treatment
Thank you for your question. Depending on the laser used, you may lose, or have the freckles get lighter. If you had a 755 Alexandrite, you may lose some freckles. If it was a NdYag, or Diode, little chance of losing pigment. If it was an IPL, anything could happen. Keep sunscreen on the area, avoid the sun, and if any blisters, see your doctor. Make certain you are being supervised by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon during your series for best results and safe treatments. I hope this helps.
I'm a tiny bit confused - are you wanting to keep your freckles, because yes, seeing as you are being treated by a laser, these are going to be affected.... For the burned areas, you should use cool water, apply hydrocortisone or Aquaphor to the red areas, and make sure that you keep any burned areas very moist. If you have blisters do not peel them or pop them. Also, you need to convey this happened to the treating office. Most often, higher settings are used for each subsequent procedure so if you reacted this strongly to your treatment, higher settings could result in very serious burns.
You can easily get some blisters over the next few hours after getting burnt by a laser. If that happens you need to ice the areas frequently, stay out of sun and use moisturizing agents to keep the blisters moisturized. Do not pop open any blisters. You need to convey these issues to the treating physician so she/he can adjust the settings for future treatments. You might loose your freckles but they usually come back.
Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
You might also like...
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.
You might also like...
Ask a Doctor
Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.