Did I Jeopardize the Final Result of my Rhinoplasty by Smoking and Drinking 3 Weeks Post Op?

The first 3 weeks after my rhinoplasty I took it easy. However, after the 3 weeks I was on vacation for a weekend with friends and had a few drinks and smoked as well. The next few days my nose looked significantly swollen and it was horrifying. I'm no longer partying after what it did to my nose. My question is that could I have damaged my nose internally somehow and would it effect my final result ? Thank you!

Alcohol and Tobacco Use After Rhinoplasty

+2

Moderate alcohol consumption after an operation such as Rhinoplasty carries the risk of increased swelling in the area, resulting in a longer healing time but not any significant damage unless you have trauma to the area as a result. Smoking significantly decreases healing potential due to the decrease in peripheral blood flow to the area, but again it will not cause significant damage.  You may have slowed your healing process, but you have not done serious damage if this was an infrequent activity.

Jaime Perez, MD

Rhinoplasty Specialist

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperezmd.com/pages/nose-job

Smoke & Drink

+2

Just to be on the safe side.........don't smoke or use alcohol for six weeks after your rhinoplasty surgery for best healing results.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty swelling after drinking and smoking

+2

Drinking and swelling may delay wound healing however will not affect your over all result at this time. Moderate alcohol intake is fine three weeks post Rhinoplasty however smoking will cause a delay in healing. Keep sleeping elevated, watch your exposure to excessive heat and salty foods and your swelling should start to dissipate. Best regards!

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com

+1
You seemed to answer your own question to a degree noting that the increased swelling came after the drinking and any swelling you get in the nose after a rhinoplasty is slow to resolve.  Best to avoid the risk at this time.  Smoking inhibits wound healing and can be a significant factor for the rhinoplasty result, but also is a general health risk.

Smoking And Drinking After Rhinoplasty

+1

It appears that smoking and drinking increase your swelling; which will slow down your recovery process if not treated/stopped.

I recommend that you wait till you reach the 2 months mark before you resume the moderate drinking.

As for smoking that I am sure you are aware of all it as a serious health hazard, it would be at your best interest to have it stopped especially that it contributes to vasoconstriction (narrowing of blood vessels) hence impeding your recovery.

Best of wishes.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Drinking and smoking after rhinoplasty

+1

Three weeks after surgery you will not harm the ultimate result. However, healing maybe delayed. Obviously you are aware that excessive tobacco and alcohol are unhealthy in general.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Not sure if it did any harm but certainly it didn't help the nose heal after your Rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com