Did I Disrupt my Grafts After my Eyebrow Restoration?

I had an eyebrow restoration two weeks ago and I have completely left them alone, but recently (within the past two or three days) I have started to rub them and pick at the remaining scabs. A lot of the hairs are intact, but with my picking the hairs have come out with the scabs. Did I disrupt my grafts? I thought after two weeks they were supposed to fall out naturally? How does this work? Are part of the hairs still underneath my skin or have I pulled them out?

Hair transplant follicles have healed well enough at 2 weeks that they are difficult to damage

+1

The transplanted hairs generally take about a month to fall out.Picking at the scabs may remove the hair and its follicle but they were going to be lost anyway. While I don't recommend picking at transplanted hairs, it is unlikely that you could do any real harm unless you were extraoraordinarily aggressive.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyebrow Restoration - Growth of Grafts

+1

While it is unadvised to pick at your scabs before they naturally fall off (for growth and healing purposes) it is doubtful that you have damaged the follicle itself. The hairs would naturally detach from the follicle and fall out anyway so that new hair could grow in its place. Two weeks should have been sufficient time for the follicle to “take root” firmly enough that picking at the scabs will not adversely affect the results.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Two Weeks Post-Op Eyebrow Transplantation

+1

Most likely, at 2 weeks, the hairs are ready to be removed, and you did not hurt them at all.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taking crusts off eyebrow transplants

+1

Most likely you did no harm. The proof will be in 3 months when hairs should start to regrow. In the meantime there is nothing you can really do to make a difference. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon