Did I Damage my Nose by Massaging It Post Rhinoplasty?

I had a closed revision rhinoplasty two weeks ago. I began lightly massaging it after a week and a half when I got the cast off. I have since learned that massaging is not helpful and may even be detrimental and have stopped. Would I know if I have done any damage to it?

+1

You need to be speaking with your surgeon about this.  Generally once I remove the splint I tape the nose and, depending on exactly what has been done, I ask my patients to gently massage, which will help reduce swelling. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Massaging nose after rhinoplasty

+1

It is unlikely that any damage is done to the nose with gentle massage after rhinoplasty. That being said, I would only massage your nose if it was recommended by your surgeon. Contact your surgeon to ask if you should be massaging your nose. Also, if you are concerned that you have caused any damage (again, unlikely), then you should go see your surgeon immediately.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massaging the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for the question. It's not likely that you did any damage to your nose but you should call your surgeon and let him or her know your concerns. It is possible that your surgeon would want to evaluate you sooner than your next scheduled appointment if you are noticing any issues with the straightness or symmetry of your nose. In some cases, it is helpful to tape or massage the nose after nasal surgery but these maneuvers should only be done under the guidance of your rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon