I Had Breast Reduction Surgery 8 Months Ago and Lost Nipple Sensation in One Breast. Permanent?

Nipple sensation

+2

If you are 8 months out from breast surgery, it is unlikley that your nipple sensation will improve if you have no sensation in it.  If it was improving at this point there was a chance that it might get better over the next few months. About 10-15% have permanent numbness or change in sensation after 1 yr.

Loss of Sensation after Breast Reduction Permanent?

+2

If your  nipple/areola is completely numb at this point (8 months after surgery),  then most likely the loss of sensation will be permanent (although you may be pleasantly surprised  with ongoing time). However, if you have any sensation present,  you may find that this will improve with ongoing time.

Nerve injuries can take a long to heal

+2

Loss of sensation to one or both nipples after a breast reduction is a relatively common event.  Some studies put the incidence as high as 10-20%.  Frankly, it is still a bit early to know if your sensory changes are going to be permanent in that it can take 12-18 months for nerve injuries to heal completely.    

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensation after breast reduction

+1
Some patients may notice a decrease in nipple sensation. This is often a temporary issue that resolves on its own, but can also be permanent. Unfortunately, it is difficult to say whether it is permanent for you or when sensation will return if it is temporary.

Jerome Edelstein, MD