Why did Botox cause hollowness around my eyes? How long will it last?

A few days after botox injections, I noticed hollowness around my eyes followed by eye bags. What is causing the hollowness? I also have ptosis in my cheeks, does this make it worse? I'm about 7 weeks in and sometimes I feel its getting better but for the most part, I still do not look like my cute self. Is there anything that can be done (sauna, facial, cleanse, work out) to speed up the process? My right eye became larger, the left smaller.

Eye hollowness after Botox treatment

+2

Improper injection sites and wrong dosage when treating crow's feet can cause ptosis of cheeks and affect the aperture of the eyes. By relaxing the orbicularis occuli muscle "bags" can drop onto the upper cheek leaving a look of hollowness below the eye. If muscles that lift the cheek were injected, the cheek can not rise to its natural postion, especially when smiling. Unfortunately, nothing but time can correct the problem.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Misplaced BOTOX®

+1

Hello there. I'm very sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory results. BOTOX® Cosmetic is a great treatment when administered properly. It sounds like your practitioner may have injected the BOTOX improperly, which could cause under-eye hollows to become more pronounced. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do to encourage the BOTOX to wear off. But take heart: You are halfway there, as effects generally start to fade around 3 to 4 months after treatment. You should feel comfortable asking your injector for an explanation if you are unhappy. If you consider BOTOX treatments in the future, be sure to get them from the practice of a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist to ensure your results. Best wishes.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

+1

Bad placement of Botox can lead to this, once its worn off the eye bags and hollowness should resolve. Its best to see a board certified physician for all your aesthetic desires to ensure a result you wish to achieve,

Hollowness Around Eyes After Botox

+1

When botox is injected around the eye, and if you have the propensity for early bags, then Botox can weaken the muscles that are helping to hold the bags in. This muscle, the orbicular is oculi, is very thin and sensitive to Botox, so a little goes a long way. Probably a little too much was placed, and just needs some time to go away. If you didn't have bags before, and if you think that your eyes looked just fine except for some fine lines, then just be patient and you will soon have your old eyes back. Injecting filler should only be done once the Botox effects have reversed, so your physician can really see what is going on. Hope that helps!

Minas Constantinides, MD

Minas Constantinides, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hollowness around the eyes and then eye bags following botox injections

+1

Hello!!! It is very important to inject botox only with a board certified plastic surgeon or Dermatologist to avoid any problems. Botox needs to be carefully injected to avoid any unnecessary side effect.The full effect of botox is reached in 2 weeks. It is important to have a followup visit with the doctor that injected your botox. It is important that he evaluate the areas to give you more information.

The results will wear off in about 4 - 6 months. Sometimes the only thing you can do it wait for the effect to wear off and then see how your eyes are. Then you can make a decision to see if you also need fillers to fill of fat grafting to fill in the hollow areas. The eye age overtime and sometimes other procedures besides Botox are needed.

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Hollowness Under Eyes after Botox

+1

Hi Marsha. If your Botox was injected too low on the cheek or under the eyes, there can be side effects including bags under the eyes or hollowness.

We would need to see before and after pictures to determine if this was caused by the Botox. Ask your injector and if it is related, it will likely go back to normal very soon because you are at 7 weeks already.

If it is unrelated, consider Restylane injections for under eye bags. See below link for photos.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Wait it out or consider filler

+1

botox at incorrect doses or injection sites can cause a muscle or group of muscles to begin to work improperly. many patients treated around the eyes often complain of increased wrinkling under the eyes or worsening bags and this is typically due to change in the lymphatic flow after botox since the musculature is working less to move normal fluid out of the area. also the temples can appear to be more hollow, due to the fact the orbicularis (eye muscle) atrohpies (thins) after botox because of muscle inactivity. you have to wait it out, roughly 3 months, till the botox wears off to get back to your normal appearance. filler can sometimes help, around the eyes and in the temples. Best of luck, Dr. E.