Did I Get a Bad Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I can't help but compare & notice how pretty some scars and tummys look at 3 wks post op compared to mine! One side looks like excess skin hanging out, the other isn't straight BRUISED 2 wks later & the front is swollen & from incision, down, it drops like a ledge, not flat at all! AND I have a crazy indent/cave in on my pubic area. Dr says its a suture & clains EVERYTHING is alright & will clear up & smooth out. I want another doctors opinion. Please. Because I regret this & want peace of mind.

Tummy tuck results shortly after surgery

+2

You are very, very early after your surgery.

Rather than worry yourself sick over your eventual result, it's best to focus on good healing and doing everything you are supposed to to heal well.

If you post after six months, we can give you a much better idea of how well things went and whether there is room for improvement.

Post op tummy tuck

+1

The thing that I am concerned about in the short term is whether you have a seroma under the skin, which is a collection of fluid which would need to be drained off, this could explain the fullness and the bruising. Otherwise, it looks like there may not have been enough skin removed from the sides which is why it pooches out. Getting a second opinion is not a bad idea if you think there are problems that are not being addressed.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Unhappy with tummy tuck scar

+1

At three weeks after surgery it is much too soon to evaluate a scar's appearance. It will change considerably before it becomes final--usually at about a year. From your pictures you do seem to have a lot of swelling and bruising which can be normal. If you are not reassured by the opinions here (and after all none of us can evaluate you in person), you should seek an opinion from another plastic surgeon in your area who can evaluate you in person. But try to be patient and concentrate on healing. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck OK?

+1

It is difficult to evaluate your result this soon following surgery.  It is not unusual to have swelling and some irregularity to the scar at this early point.  Try to be patient and follow your doctor's instructions.  You will have a much better idea of your final result in 3-6 months.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

3 Weeks after Tummy Tuck and Concerns over Scar

+1

From the pictures, you appear to still have a great deal of swelling.  In addition, the scar will take a year to improve to its fullest extent in most cases.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Final result will be different when healing is complete

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  It is sometimes hard to know how the body will change during the healing process.  Obviously bruising, swelling, and some of the raised component of the incision will go away with additional time.  I would focus on the positive at this time and do what you can to allow your body to heal the best that it can.  Another few months down the road you will be able to evaluate your results more accurately and decide if anything needs improvement. At that time if you feel you need a second opinion you could seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons that have experience in abdominoplasty revisions.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Healing after an abdominoplasty

+1

Everyone heals differently and will have a different post operative course.  Before and after photos would be very helpful in your particular situation.  Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and give it more time before you get too worked up over your result.  

Unhappy with abdominoplasty scar 3 weeks postoperative

+1

At 3 weeks following a tummy tuck, it is far too early yet to see what the long term results will be. Be patient. It can take up to a year or more for full maturation. With that being said, you may just want to share your concerns with your operating surgeon.

Additionally, in order for others to be able to make any type of intelligent assessment of your longer term results, you will need to provide photos.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy Tuck Results

+1

Three weeks after surgery is still early to make judgments about your scars.  They will continue to improve with time.  Also, it is difficult to make too many comments without seeing pictures.  Make sure you are clear to your surgeon about your concerns.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Unhappy with tummy tuck result

+1

I am sorry to hear about your experiences. It would be helpful to see a photo of your result. In any case, if you are truly unhappy and not trusting your surgeon then seeking a second opinion from a reputable plastic surgeon is fine and may give unbiased opinion. Most of the time, I always recommend that patients follow up with their surgeon on a regular basis, especially early in the postoperative period. As far as final result is concerned, you should wait at least 3 months and allow all the swelling and edema to subside before making final judgement. 

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS