Diastatis Recti and Umbilical Hernia Repair 12 Weeks Ago and Still Have Lower Back Pain?

I had a general surgeon repair my diastatis recti and umbilical hernia 12 weeks ago. I am very active and workout 6 days a week. After 6 weeks I started back slowly with weights. And for the first time last week I attempted pushups and sprints. I wear a really tight ace bandage around my waist to keep my tummy compressed. I am very fearful that I will tear the sutures. At this point is it possible to tear sutures and why and I still having lower back pain? Is 12 weeks considered fully healed?

Post umbilical repair activity

+2

12 weeks after this surgery theoretically you should be able to resume activities like push ups.  However every patient is different and also sometimes you have to consider the type of sutures that were used and whether you have begun the scarring process as it pertains to your diastasis healing.  I would caution you without checking this with your doctor who did the surgery.  Let him or her know about this and help you decide how rigorous you can be.

Good luck

Dr. Vasisht-South Shore Plastic Surgery

Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Back pain after diastasis repair.

+1

I do not think your back pain is related to diastasis repair or hernia repair. This is a separate problem and should be evaluated starting with your primary care doctor.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Back pain after diastasis repair

+1

Back pain is not necessarily related to an umbilical hernia or diastasis so you should see an orthopedist in evaluation.  Surgical wounds take up to a year to fully heal.  At 12 weeks, you are not completely healed although on the way.  If you are concerned about disruption of internal sutures, then don't do pushups!  Yes, you can tear internal sutures even at this point if you overdo.  Discuss your exercise regimen with your operating surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD