Diastasis Recti, Possible Ventral Hernia, with a Small Umbillical Hernia

I have currently been diagnosed with a Diastasis Recti and an Umbilical Hernia. I am a 45 year old male at 6’6” and weigh about 245lb. I am in good health and have no other medical conditions that I am aware of. I am currently exploring treatment options which would include any risk that may be involved and recovery time for treatment for these conditions. Some doctors have told me to nothing and "run" if someone wants to cut me. Others say it is treatable. Looking for some guidance & options.

HERNIAS SHOULD BE TREATED WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF DIAGNOSIS

+1

If you have a hernia, typically it should be operated on within 6 months of diagnosis. 

Hernias never go away.  They either stay the same size or slowly get larger.  It is better to treat this early before the hernias get larger.I would definitely consider treatment of your “small umbilical hernia” and possible ventral hernia. 

Concerning your rectus diastasis, it depends how bad it is.  If the intestine shows through the diastasis, then I would suggest surgical repair.  Typically, this is done with an abdominoplasty type horizontal incision and tissue dissection is carried up to the ribcage.  The rectus abdominis musculature is then plicated medially and the diastasis can be fixed relatively easily.  If it is an extremely large diastasis you may require insertion of mesh. 

Typically insurance does not cover correction of rectus diastasis but they usually cover repair of ventral and umbilical hernias. 

Good luck on your surgery.

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Web reference: http://timothykatzenmd.com/body/abdominoplasty-tummy-tuck/

Male tummy tuck

+1

It would help if you submitted photos with your question.  Most men undergoing tummy tuck have lost a substantial,amount of weight leading to sagging skin, and from your description of your situation,  that does not seem to be the case.  If a few plastic surgeons have turned you down already, it may be wise to take their advice.  Male tummy tucks have a higher incidence of serious complications than when done in women, and especially in someone as large as you.

Diastasis recti

+1

You will need a careful history and physical exam to determine the significance of these diagnoses. Not all diastasis recti need to be corrected. Also, your weight may be a concern in maintaining any surgical correction. Ask what you have to gain by any surgery.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.