Can my Diastasis Recti Be Repaired Without Too Many Scars?

I have a bad case of DR, after two children. Am thinking of having one more before getting the surgery. However, I would like to know if I will have really bad scars afterwards. It would be so nice to actually wear a two piece, something I have not done since I was a teenager. Thanks.

Diastasis Rectus Repair

Dear Ms. Diastasis New Jersey,

Virtually all tummy tucks repair the laxity in the abdominal wall musculature. This always includes repairing the widening between the two central muscles call a diastasis rectus repair. It is part of a normal tummy tuck. By the way, I would guesstimate that at least half the women I perform an abdominoplasty on have an undiagnosed umbilical hernia which I routinely repair at no charge while I am there. Yes, wait till you are done having children.

Good Luck!

575 E Medical Center Blvd
Webster, TX 77598

Yes, there are excellent procedures available for repair of diastasis recti.

Dear 783466anon:  Yes, there are excellent procedures available for repair of diastasis recti.  You are correct to finish having children before you consider surgery.  Abdominal muscle toning may be worthwhile in the meantime. 

Plastic surgeons strive to minimize scarring.  The abdominoplasty procedure is now done in a variety of ways to address individual patient's conditions and concerns.  Your photograph appears to show very lax abdominal muscle and fibrous support, which can improve with fascial plication, done during abdominplasty. 

I suspect by your question that you would like a very small scar.  You should consult an experienced plastic surgeon for evaluation in-person, but from the photo I suspect that plication alone will leave a large amount of loose skin that will be addressed by removal low across the pubic and hip areas (under most bikinis).  A mini- or short-scar abdominoplasty may not be sufficient for you, but a well placed scar should allow you to consider a two-piece bathing suit looking much better than the current photograph.  Best wishes.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

615 Halton Rd
Greenville, SC 29607

Diastasis Recti Be Repaired

Thanks for the photo. Yes you need a DR repair and maybe even with mesh reinforcement. The scar is in the bikini area so I feel your concern is unfounded. It is a trade off of a flat abdomen with a scar in the pubic area vs what you have now. I think it should be a very easy decision. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Two scars

A tummy tuck has 2 main scars. One small one around the belly button and another low one in the bikini area. They usually fade well and fix the diastasis recti. Have your next child first.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

308 E 79th St
New York, NY 10075

Treatment of Rectus Diastasis

Definitely finish childbearing before considering surgery! You likely need a full tummy tuck, as most women do, after multiple pregnancies and a resulting bulging abdominal wall. Scarring results low, hip to hip, and around the belly-button. Goals are definitely to wear a bikini with the scar hidden in normal full coverage bikini briefs. It is usually worth the trade off of scarring, in situations like yours.

Hayley Brown, MD, FACS

10001 South Eastern Ave.
Henderson, NV 89052

The disadvantage of limited scar diastasis recti abdominal muscle repair

Yes a diastasis recti repair can be completed with minimal scarring. However, given the amount of skin distention, I would srongly discuourage you from thiis because I strongly believe you would be left with excessive skin laxity and redundancy which you would find unacceptable.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Consider a Floating Abdominoplasty For Diastasis Recti Correction

Floating abdominoplasty uses a small incision in the lower abdomen to allow for the tummy to be tightened and shaped. No incision around the belly button is needed. Through the incision, excess skin is removed and muscles can be tightened. The belly button is temporarily detached during the surgery to allow for this. You experience muscle tightening from sternum to pubic area. After the belly button is reattached (and moved down if necessary) the incisions are sutured. Liposuction can be performed if necessary to eliminate excess fat.

Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a physical examination to determine which treatment would be most suitable. A floating abdominoplasty may help you. Good luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Diastasis repair and scars

A tummy tuck would truly help you in this situation. Your diastasis would be repaired and the incision would be the same as a tummy tuck (in your bikini line)

Raj S. Ambay, MD

27716 Cashford Cir
Wesley Chapel, FL 33544

Types of scars with an abdominoplasty

You do have a prominent abdominal bulge from your pregnancies.  I think you would get a satisfactory result wth a standard abdominoplasty and diastasis recti repair. I would recommend waiting 6 months after your final delivery to ensure the best repair and recovery.  There is always a possibility of making a bad scar but attention to detail and using standard plastic surgical techniques can keep this to a minimum. 

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Diastasis Recti after 2 pregnancies

I think you would get a wonderful result with a traditional tummy tuck and diastasis recti repair.   I would recommend waiting 6 months after your final delivery to ensure the best repair and recovery.

In regards to scars, everyone heals differently and your best predictor may be your previous scars.  Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can educate you on the various scar treatment modalities available to you.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery!!

Paul S. Gill, MD

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380