Diastasis - I Look 6 Months Pregnant After 4 Children

I look heavily pregnant after 4 children- the youngest child is 5. Can anything other than a full tummy tuck help me? I cannot afford the time for a full procedure- would lipo help me a bit? i have no stretch marks and when I managed to lose about 15 lbs 2yrs ago, the skin seemed to retract nicely.

Tummy tuck?

+3

Thank you for your question and picture.

Unfortunately, any  procedure other than a full tummy tuck will be a waste of your time, effort, and money. Furthermore, with any other procedure performed, you may be left with a result worse than what you are starting with.

In your case, it would be better to do nothing surgically until you have the " time for a full procedure”.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Do I need da tummy tuck?

+3

You need a full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) to reposition your rectus abdominus muscles.  Anything less will leave you very disappointed.  If you find a "surgeon" who says they can fix it any other way, run.  Also, a gazillion situps won't fix it.  The muscles are spread apart and only surgical repositioning will fix it.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

When should you skip Liposuction and wisely choose a Full Tummy Tuck?

+3

Regarding: "Diastasis - I Look 6 Months Pregnant After 4 Children
I look heavily pregnant after 4 children
- the youngest child is 5. Can anything other than a full tummy tuck help me? I cannot afford the time for a full procedure- would lipo help me a bit? i have no stretch marks and when I managed to lose about 15 lbs 2yrs ago, the skin seemed to retract nicely"

As Plastic surgeons we run into your situation all the time. The majority of women do not understand just how disruptive a pregnancy can be to your body, especially in smaller women. It causes
- permanent stretched abdominal and breast skin (some with stretch marks)
- stretched out abdominal muscles
- separation of the 6 pack (Rectus abdominis) muscles called a Diastasis of various dimensions (and often confused as a "hernia")
- stretching out of the pelvic diaphragm leading some women to have urinary stress incontinence (requiring suspension techniques)

Liposuction removed the excess fat under the skin. It does NOT tighten the muscles, does not bring the six pack muscles back together and while SOME skin tightening MAY be seen with VASER liposuction, it is not predictable.

And now for the tough part. Yes. You do look pregnant, even though you are not. But, you do not need to stay that way. You appear to have good skin and a full Tummy Tuck will DRAMATICALLY improve your appearance like no other ersatz procedure. If you want to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory - go ahead and have a liposuction procedure - any of them. If you want to have a flat tummy, narrower waist and a smooth tummy skin, look for a good Plastic surgeon and have a full Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) you will be glad you did.

To really understand your Mommy Makeover, after pregnancy restoration options,please check the link below to my website.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Diastasis repair

+2

Your best result would be an abdominoplasty to reposition the rectus muscles.  Liposuction would do nothing for the protruding abdomen.

The abdominoplasty would restore the muscles to normal position, remove some fat and excess skin of the lower abdomen.  I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon about the diastasis repair and rule out any associated hernia.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is needed to correct a weakened abdominal wall

+2

Based on your photo and history it appears that you need a tummy tuck, which will tighten and restore your abdominal muscles to their pre-pregancy condition.  There is no role for liposuction in your situation, based on your photos.  The tummy tuck will also allow for removal of excess skin, which may have occurred after four pregnancies.

If you try to do a minimal procedure here (liposuction) you will end up with very minimal/poor result.

Dr. Bruno

Is a Tummy Tuck the Only Answer

+2

I doubt very seriously that you can achieve any measure of significant improvement of contour without a full abdominoplasty.  You issue may be some fat but probably due to very lax abdominal muscles that need tightening that only an abdominoplasty can achieve.

Dr. ES

Tummy tuck corrects diastasis recti, fat deposits and loose skin

+2

After reviewing your photo, I would recommend a tummy tuck combined with liposuction. A full tummy tuck corrects the aftermath of pregnancy:

1.  The separation of the abdominal muscles (diastasis recti) is repaired to reduce the bulge

2.  The loose skin is tightened

3.  Fat deposits can be reduced with liposuction

Liposuction alone would not correct the bulge due to the muscle separation or the loose skin and would, in all likelihood, lead to a disappointing result for you.

I would recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best regards, Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

You need to repair the diastasis of the muscles.

+2

From your photo I think that the only option which will give you results that you will be happy with is a full tummy tuck.  I perform mini tuck and also SmartLipo and I can't give you what you need with any of those other procedures.  Bottom line...you need a full tummy tuck.

If you think you can't afford a tummy tuck that will correct your problem and make you happy, then you really can't afford to spend any money on anything else which wont correct your problem and definitely wont make you happy.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Large diastasis -muscle separation - without tummy tuck

+2

You answered your own question. If you lost 15 lbs two years ago and looked great than that is your easiest solution. However, I don't completely believe this to be true. It appears that you have a true diastasis or hernia or profound visceral fatty collections. The latter cannot be treated whereas the former two require surgery for improvment. If your skin is truly elastic, you could undergo a minimal incision endoscopically assisted diastasis repair.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Diastasis

+2

YOU NEED A TUMMY TUCK! Do not even consider liposuction a very bad idea in your case. In person evaluation will educate you on the correct choices. Get one.