Want Abdominal Liposuction or Alternative but Have a Colostomy. What is the Best Option?

More specifically....I'm F 36yo, 5'2, 130# (w/muscle). Measurements 36-34-36. I am an exercise specialist and dietitian. I'm happy with my weight everywhere except the abdomen. Also, a smaller waist would make having the colostomy more comfortable underneath jeans. What would you suggest? I would greatly appreciate your help.

Liposuction with colostomy

+2

Thank you for your question about liposuction with a colostomy

• Yes liposuction around a colostomy can be done very successfully,
  • Your abdominal surgery may have caused the excess fat deposits - this is called post traumatic lipodystrophy
  • Find a careful and experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon - ideally fully trained in general surgery so your surgeon has a thorough understanding of colostomies and their management.
  • Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Liposuction with Colostomy

+2

I would consider doing it after an examination of you, your records, and a recent CT.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Liposuction.php

Abdominal Liposuction Options

+2

Thank you for your question. I would first recommend obtaining medical clearance with your GI surgeon for a lipo procedure  If it is an excess fat, liposuction will be best for you to do.  Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in body contouring for the best and safest results.  I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is possible if you have a colostomy

+2

I have successfully peformed liposuction in people with an abdominal colostomy. This takes added expertise in liposuction technique as well as knowledge about colostomies to avoid injury.  You should seek out a highly skilled and qualified plastic surgeon.

Does colostomy preclude liposuction?

+2

I would like to know the reason for the colostomy and if it is reversible.  I agree with Dr. Sattler that I wouldn't be anxious to perform lipo on a colostomy patient. Your underlying medical condition may expose you to a higher risk level than would be appropriate for such an elective procedure.

Abdominoplasty vs. liposuction in the presence of a colostomy

+2

I have performed liposuction on patients with colostomies to allow the bag to sit better around the colostomy opening so liposuction can be done around and away from the opening safely. Without photos or a face to face examination it is impossible to say what you could reasonably expect from liposuction alone vs. abdominoplasty with or without liposuction. Most colostomies are temporary but from your post I assume yours cannot be reversed. If it can be reversed you would be better off waiting until after you have recovered from the reversal to undergo cosmetic surgery. If it cannot be reversed and an abdominoplasty is decided on your general surgeon would have to be present for some part of the surgery to create a new ostomy opening in the skin. The old ostomy opening in the skin may not be able to be completely removed along with the excess abdominal skin. That would leave you with an extra scar after surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Liposuction and colostomy - I am personally uncomfortable with the combination

+2

You did not mention the reason why you happen to have a colostomy - related to inflammatory bowel disease, perhaps. Personally, I would be uncomfortable offering elective abdominal liposuction on a patient with a colostomy. Chance of a complication (bowel perforation) just a little bit too high, in my opinion. Other more experienced surgeons on this forum may have a differing views.