I Was Diagnosed with Raynaud's Phenomenon 20 Years Ago, No Symptoms in Decades, Can I do CoolSculpting?

I am due to get Coolsculpting in 2 weeks on my lower abdomen with the smaller device. The Dr. asked about skin allergies to cold. I didn't remember the Raynaud's until later. I was diagnosed at a walk-in clinic in my 20's when I didn't wear proper shoes for Northeast winters. I never had an issue with my hands and have not had an issue with my feet in years, except for them occasionally turning bluish, when sitting for long periods which is more likely poor circulation. What is the risk?

Raynaud's and Coolsculpting

+1

Hi,

In the formal consents from Zeltqi, one of the contraindications is a history of Raynaud's.  Since Raynaud's is an autoimmune disease that is affected by cold, I would stay on the safe side and get an evaluation and approval from a rheumatologist before having Coolsculpting done.  We have turned down patients before when we do our initial consult and found out they had Raynaud's or Lupus.

Dr. Liu

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting might be possible in someone who has Raynaud's phenomenon

+1

As Raynaud's affects the fingers and toes, but not the truncal circulation, any avoidance of CoolSculpting is theoretical and not based on evidence of a true contraindication.  Your history sounds more like local trauma to the feet rather than Raynauds.  You might find a physician willing to treat you but I doubt the company would make a statement of approval.

Ronald Shelton, MD

CoolSculpting and Raynauds Disease

+1

There are not many contraindications for having CoolSculpting performed BUT Raynauds Disease is one of them.  I would not recommend getting this treatment if you have Raynauds.  IF you think that the diagnosis 20 years ago was wrong, I would see your primary care and have things reassessed prior to having this procedure.

Best Wishes!

Renaud's and CoolSculpting

+1

According the manufacturer of CoolSculpting,  any skin disorder or medical condition related to cold intolerance, including Raynaud's, is a contraindication to this treatment.  However, it does not sound like your symptoms are consistent with Raynaud's disease.  I would recommend you have this re-evaluated by your primary care physician since there is a good chance that you never had Raynaud's in the first place.  If you do have Raynaud's, there are still many other good surgical options for treatment such as SmartLipo Triplex that offer minimal downtime, nice skin tightening and good results.  Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Cool sculpting and raynauds

+1

Dear Julie, Having true raynauds disease is a concern in theory only, and likely not a true problem in the stetting of cool sculpting of the abdomen. This makes sence because raynauds is a problem with vasospasm of small vessels on the distal extremities, and does not affect the abdomen or trunk region which has adequate collateral circulation to prevent this. While cool sculpting was not studied in patients with raynauds, anecdotally we have successfully treated several patients without any problems.

Andrea Willey, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting works even with Raynaud's

+1

First of all it I am not convinced you have Raynaud's, I would visit with an Internal Medicine physician to evaluate your situation.  Even if you have Raynaud's, it is not a contraindication for Coolsculpting to your abdomen.  Coolsculpting is a very easy, non-invasive, outpatient procedure to help reduce fat in selected areas.  There is no downtown, no IV's, so surgery and the results can be seen in about 8 weeks.  Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon