I Have Been Diagnosed with Gynecomastia and in my Late Teens.

Does anyone have any suggestions for experienced surgeons in this procedure in the Indianapolis area?

How to Find an Experienced Gynecomastia Surgeon

+1

Both societies, The American Society of Plastic Surgeons and The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, only have Board Certified members. They both have listings of well qualified surgeons. However when you go in for a consultation, be sure to see before and after pictures and ask how many gynecomastia procedures are done a year. Many surgeons are happy to have you speak to one or more of their patients who can tell you of their experience with this particular surgeon. Good luck.

Gynecomastia

+1

I would also recommend going on the American Board of Plastic Surgery site and finding a certified surgeon in your area who has experience with this procedure.  Ask to see before and after photos as well as talking to patients who have had surgery so that they can tell you about their experience.

Gynecomastia

+1

Many men have varying degrees of gynecomastia.  Therefor, there are several surgical methods of treating this depending on the anatomy to start with.  The best way to find board certified plastic surgeons in your area is to contact the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons.  They will give members names and addresses near your zip code.  Good luck. 

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Treatment Of Gynecomastia

+1

The treatment of gynecomastia in my practice usually consists of excision of the glandular tissue along with liposuction.  I agree that the ASPS as well as the ASAPS websites can be helpful in finding a qualified plastic surgeon as members of both must be board-certified.  Your family doctor or endocrinologist may also be helpful.

John Whitt, MD

How to pick a plastic surgeon for gynecomastia or other procedure.

+1

1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic surgery.

2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the surgery.

3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a surgical plan tailor made for you?

4) Plastic surgeons have to have a good eye and meticulous technique.  Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?

5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.

6)  Ask to speak to a patient who has had the procedure you want.  You are looking for a surgeon who does a lot of what you want.   Many  patients are eager to share their experience.  Privacy is preserved by having the patient call you.

7)  If you are having breast augmentation, ask if the surgeon has a large inventory of different size and shape breast implants available in the operating room.  A surgeon who does a lot of breast surgery will have an inventory.  This way, the final implant choice does not have to be made in advance.

8)   With office surgery, make sure the surgical facility is ACCREDITED.   Very important safety assurance.

9)   Make sure the anesthesia is given by a BOARD CERTIFIED ANESTHESIOLOGIST.  Another very important safety factor.

10)  Make sure the office has trained nurses available for hands-on post operative care.  This can really speed recovery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Finding an experience plastic surgeon

+1

I would log on to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website to find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS