I was diagnosed with a basal cell cancer 1/3 the way on line between corner of nose and mouth?

I was diagnosed with a basal cell cancer 1/3 the way on line between corner of nose and mouth. I chose MOHs by dermatologist specialist followed by plastic surgeon to sew it up. Is this the best way to go? If not, what is recommended. It is about 3-4 mm.

Approach to BCC

+2

Basal cell cancer on the face is well-managed by Mohs surgery which gives the highest long-term cure rate available. Following Mohs surgery, the "reconstruction" of the skin may be done by either the Mohs surgeon who may have extensive training and experience with this or also by a separate plastic surgeon.

Depending on patient preference after discussion with the Mohs surgeon, either approach is very reasonable.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

How to treat a BCC - Mohs?

+2

Yes, good choice. Many Mohs surgeons also have experience doing their own closures, though it does depend on what type of training and certifications they have. Personally, I do my own closures, but you can always elect to have a plastic surgeon do the closure separately if that's something you and your Mohs surgeon think is best.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Mohs surgery is the gold standard to treat facial skin cancers

+2

yes Mohs surgery is the best way to treat your skin cancer. If you see a fellowship trained Mohs surgeon who is a member of the American College of Mohs Surgery then you know your doctor had formal training in the technique. Also ACMS members have formal training in reconstruction of skin cancer defects and perform more reconstruction on the face for skin cancer than any other specialty.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Moh's

+1
Treatment of facial basal and squamous cell skin cancers typically involves both a Moh's surgeon to ensure excision with clear margins around the tumor preserving as much normal tissue as possible followed by closure either by the Moh's surgeon or by a Plastic Surgeon. As a Plastic Surgeon, I work closely with several local Moh's surgeons in the management of these lesions. Typically the Moh's surgeon will remove the tumor in the morning and then send the patient directly over to me for closure. In your particular case your arrangement sounds perfectly appropriate. 

Paul Buhrer, MD
Annapolis Plastic Surgeon

Basal Cell Cancer

+1

Either a Mohs Micrographic Surgeon or a Plastic Surgeon is the correct choice; both kinds of doctors are trained to repair the defects made with this type of excisional surgery.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Yes! Good choice

+1

Basal Cell Carcinoma of the face is almost always best treated by Mohs sugery by a dermatolgist.

Plastic Surgeons generally do the closure with optimal outcome.

Good choice

Anne Marie McNeill, MD, PhD
Newport Beach Dermatologist