I've Been Diagnosed with APS (Never Had a Clot) - is a Tummy Tuck Too Dangerous for Me?

Are the risks too high for me to have a tummy tuck? I've never had a clot (just pregnancy losses). Thank you!

Pulmonary embolism is a definite but remote complication of abdominoplasty.

+1

Your condition would increase the risk for pulmonary embolism at the time of the abdominoplasty. There are many other factors to consider. Your surgeon will probably consulting hematologist and possibly administer perioperative or postoperative prophylaxis.

Antiphospholipid Syndrome and Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Best to have a full evaluation by a hematologist  prior to considering elective surgery. He/she may have specific recommendations for you and/or your plastic surgeon.

Risk Of Blood Clot With Abdominoplasty

+1

You ask an interesting question.  The answer depends on a few things.  APS (Antiphospholipid syndrome) is an autoimmune condition that has a wide spectrum of presentation.  If you require anticoagulation at all times, then the answer would be yes - it is too dangerous.  On the other hand if you just have only one blood test positive then it may be safe.

In your case I think a careful consultation with both your plastic surgeon and your hematologist can give you a reasonable estimate of the risks.  Then you can make an informed decision.  Best of luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD

Getting a tummy tuck with APS

+1

I would make sure you are cleared by your medical doctor before getting any surgery.  If he/she is okay with it, then you can probably proceed with your tummy tuck.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD