Diagnosed with Non Active Lupus Looking to Get Cosmetic Procedures Done?

I've recently been diagnosed with non active mild lupus and will be starting treatments but prior to this finding I was in the process of getting a tummy tuck and fat grafting.i spoke to my rheumatologist and he said I can proceed with my procedures but i was wondering is there another safe way off a.tummy fuck and is fat grafting safe for me??

Tummy Tuck and Lupus?

+1

Based on your description, it is very likely that you can undergo the procedure's planned without difficulty. However, you are doing the right things by consulting with your rheumatologists who knows your situation best. He/she can “optimize” the treatment of the rheumatologic condition  and make recommendations regarding the use of medications etc. around the time of surgery.

Of course, it will be important to select your plastic surgeon carefully and make sure that you are being taken care of by a well experienced anesthesia provider in a fully accredited surgery center or hospital.

Non Active Lupus Looking to Get Cosmetic Procedures Done

+1

Some of the treatments for lupus may interfere with wound healing, so continuing to discuss with your rheumatologist as you progress through this process is essential. 

Most procedures can be done safely if you are not requiring prednisone or other medications which are problematic. 

Whether a tummy tuck and fat grafting are indicated is best answered during a consultation with a plastic surgeon. There may be an occasional patient asking about a tummy tuck who can have a "less invasive" procedure, but, for example, liposuction may address excess fat, but not laxity of the abdominal muscle or excess skin, all or which are addressed by a tummy tuck. 

As far as fat grafting, I am not certain of the target (?breast) but again here a discussion of pros and cons and alternatives is appropriate in the setting of a consultation. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Lupus and cosmetic surgery

+1

Ouch, spellcheck got you in the last sentence.  I am assuming that the question is what other procedures can be done besides tummy tuck that are less invasive?  The best process is to go over with your ps your concerns.  With the lupus being nonactive and with the clearance from the rheumatologist, I would still want to know what needed to be done for you in terms of anticoagulation.  At the end of the day, less invasive tends to lead to less impressive results but all of this is based on your anatomy and what your goals for this surgery are.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon