Will Abdominal Liposuction Help Me Get Off Insulin?

I Am Diabetic on Insulin 30 Untis a Day 5-2 Weight 134 Lbs Weight. I am 56 years old weight on stomach looking for liposuction if that helps to get off insulin. what is the risk for diabetic for liposuction?

Liposuction and diabetes

+4

Liposuction will not likely improve your need or lack thereof of insulin.  Diabetics in general have a higher risk of complications after surgery.

Diabetes and Subcutaneous fat.

+3

The reduction of subcutaneous fat  from liposuction is minor, in the grand scale of things.  Diabetes isn't  caused by being fat per se, and the reduction of so little fat surgically in no ways makes your insulin sensitivity different.  Beware of any claims to the contrary.  I think all plastic surgeons will agree on this one.

Liposuction WILL NOT treat diabetes

+2

Liposuction is strictly a cosmetic procedure!  Contrary to popular belief, there is no significant weight loss associated with liposuction--even with large amounts.  Weight loss is a great way to get off insulin if you're a dibetic.  There are two ways to do that--weight loss surgery (bariatric surgery such as gastric bypass, lap band, etc.) or diet and exercise--that's it.  Do not let anyone talk you into doing liposuction for medical reasons--it simply has no place.  Good luck!

Liposuction usually does not improve diabetes

+1

Liposuction removes the fat above the muscle wall in the abdomen, but it is the fat around the intestines which lie behind the muscle wall that is related to the cardiac risk profile.  If much of that fat is lost through diet and exercise, diabetes has been shown to improve, but not the fat removed by liposuction.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/liposuction/index.html

Liposuction Does Not Offer Improved Control After Surgery In Diabetics

+1

While the removal of fat seems like it would make for improved diabetic control and the need for less insulin, a few studies that have looked at that specifically have failed to show that liposuction effect. As you might imagine, the concept of insurance covering liposuction for diabetics has a lot of appeal which is one reason that purported connection has been explored. But the amount of fat removal and the mechanism behind insulin-dependent diabetes is not so simply treated. Otherwise, a diabetic is at some increased of infection from any surgical procedure but with appropriate antibiotic coverage that risk can be minimized.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyliposuction.com/

Doubtful.....

+1

While there are reports in the literature of Liposuction improving diabetic control, these should be considered the exceptions as opposed to the rule. I would say it is unlikely. Have Liposuction if you want a potential improvement in your appearance not to treat a medical problem.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Will liposuction help me get off insulin?

+1

Diabetes is part of the metabolic syndromes and is related to intraabdominal fat not extraabdominal fat. You are 5'2", 134lbs with a normal BMI of 24. Having liposuction of your abdominal wall might improve your figure, but will not alter your insulin requirement. I treated diabetic patients with liposuction and tummy tuck and this gave them the incentive to exercise and further reduce their weight. We noted decreased insulin requirements, but they could not get off insulin completely.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon