I Am Diabetic, Am I in Danger if I Get a Rhinoplasty?

So, I'm diabetic since I was 13, now I'm 17 and turning 18 in a few months. I've taken really good care of my treatment, so I asked my regular doctor and she said that I can get a nose job if I keep my treatment as I have all these years, but I forgot to ask her, if it is dangerous to get a chin implant at the same time, is it too much for a diabetic patient? Or it doesn't matter? Or just because I have diabetes my post-operation recovery will be slower? thanks to all the doctors.

Rhinoplasty and diabetes

+1

It is certainly acceptable to undergo a rhinoplasty if the patient is a diabetic. The diabetes
needs to be under good control and your sugar levels kept within normal range and you should have no
problems undergoing a rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty and Chin Implant on a Diabetic

+1

First of all, congratulations for taking excellent care of yourself. It is not dangerous for you to have a rhinoplasty and/or a chin implant. Have your regular doctor and your surgeon coordinate management of your blood sugar  immediately before, during, and after the operation. Enjoy your new nose.

Cosmetic surgery in diabetics

+1

If you suffer from diabetes, you are still eligible to undergo cosmetic surgery such as rhinoplasty and chin implant. You should definitely see your doctor to make sure the condition is being treated appropriately prior to surgery. You may also be at somewhat higher risk of wound healing problems or infection. 

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Diabetes and rhinoplasty surgery

+1

As long as your diabetes is under control and you are otherwise in good health, you should be safe to undergo a rhinoplasty especially given your younger age. In addition, the chin implant can easily be done at the same time and as long as you receive antibiotics and good postoperative care, you should do fine with that procedure as well. Healing time might be slightly prolonged from the diabetes but again given your young age it should not be that much longer. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and nose job in a diabetic

+1

The face has an excellent blood supply and if you have a good a1c level, it is unlikely that you will heal any differently from an individual without diabetes. However, poorly controlled longstanding diabetes may be associated with a higher risk of infection and compromised healing.

Diabetes and facial plastic surgery

+1

If you keep your sugar in line, you should be fine for these procedures.  Of course there is always a risk, and perhaps the diabetes will increase risks slightly, but you should be fine.  Just be sure to be open with your surgeon.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Diabetes and Rhinoplasty / Chin Augmentation

+1

Hi Alann,

I concur with the other doctors regarding your question.  

I have also operated on many diabetic patients for cosmetic reasons.  Your healing from both the rhinoplasty and the chin implant are expected to go uncomplicated as long as you have good preoperative and postoperative care of the diabetes.  Remain in good contact with your endocrinologist and primary care physician.  

Good luck with your surgery.

Dr. Torkian - Lasky Clinic, Beverly Hills

Behrooz Torkian, MD

No, but get clearance from your internist.

+1

No, but get clearance from your internist. Many diabetics have both done together without problem.

Well controlled diabetes should not prevent rhinoplasty

+1

Any cosmetic surgery, or elective surgery for that matter should be completed when you are at the best of health. This includes controlled diabetes. Your surgeon should notify your primary physician and work with him in a process referred to as medical clearance to that you rhinoplasty goes smoothly and safely.

peterejohnsonmd

Cosmetic Surgery is Safe in a well controlled diabetic!

+1

Dear Alann,  Cosmetic surgery such as a rhinoplasty or chin augmentation is certainly safe in a well controlled diabetic.  And it certainly appears that you are one.  As this is a cosmetic surgery I would have your plastic surgeon speak to your medical doctor and/or endocrinologist who manages your diabetes to discuss the pre and post op trewatment.  Your anesthesiologist should also be well aeware of your condition in advance and discuss it with you in advance of surgery.  I have my patients bring all their diabetic paraphenalia with them so we can monitor your status throughout the surgey.

As you can tell my concern is not the surgery but your management of the diabetes.  The surgery proceeds no differently and ther precautions are no different than what we take for every rhinoplasty chin implant patient.  Good luck with your planned surgery, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon