Diabetes/HIV and Breast Augmentation Along with Brazilian Butt Lift?

I am 17 5'2 165. I was currently diagnosed with diabetes in November 2012 and I was born with HIV. I wanted to get these procedures done together. But i was reading about the risks as far as infection and healing but for the past 5 years my mom has ben giving me vitamins that help with blood cells and basically things that can help you heal faster by taking them regularly which I do. But I wanted to know if i can get these procedures done because my BS stays in mid 110s-mid 120s when i check it.

Split Procedures byVillar

+4

The more trauma your body sustains at surgery, the greater the risk of infection, bleeding, hematoma, fat embolism, and other post operative complications.  Multiple short operations and anesthesia times are less traumatic to the body and enjoy faster recuperation with less complications than one long operation of equal length. High risk patients should be especially aware of this.

Patients with HIV-associated body morphology changes can be safely treated by the plastic surgeon, provided that a thorough preoperative workup is performed.

Risk factors increasing operative morbidity include an absolute CD4 count of less than 200 cells/cc3 or viral load greater than 10,000 copies/ml.

Trans-oral procedures have much higher risk than transdermal procedures.

Patients with CD4 counts greater than 200 cells/cc3 and a low viral load have a risk of postoperative complications similar to that of well controlled diabetics and the general population and should  be evaluated on established preoperative parameters such as the  American Society of Anesthesiologists class, nutrition, and age.

That said, if you do get an infection, it will be harder to treat because it may destabilize your diabetes and over stress your immune system.  The breast augmentation is the least traumatic of the two operations.  Try that one first, to see how you do.  Certainly have a thorough medical clearance to make sure your CD4 is over 200 with a low viral load and your diabetes is under control.  Best wishes. Knowledge is power.  Luis F. Villar MD FACS

+1

Neither of these conditions, if controlled and managed, will prevent you from attaining your goals.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Cosmetic Surgery & Medical Problems

+1

Thank you for your question.  Diabetes and HIV are not absolute contraindications to cosmetic surgery.  If your blood sugars are under good control and your Hemoglobin A1C is less than 7, then your risk of infection is the same as someone without diabetes. If your HIV is well managed, viral counts normal white blood cells are at a normal level,infection is not a major risk. Obviosly universal precautions need to be taken but you can safely undergo these procedures. Seek consultation from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss these issues with them as well as your mother. Best wishes

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and diabetes

+1

If the diabetes is very controlled and HIV is also controlled and low viral load, then you can have the surgery after your doctores clear you for surgery, then you can have the surgery.

However you are at a higher risk of infection.