What Should I Be Doing As Prep for a Tummy-tuck? (photo)

I'm a 32 year old male. Over the last year, I've transformed my body. I have lost 80lbs of fat and gained 15lbs of muscle through diet and exercise. I'll be getting a tummy tuck in January. I've got a couple months to prep before my surgery. What should I be doing in preparation for my surgery? Should I continue to try and eat below my caloric maintenance level and lose more weight or should eat slightly above and I lift heavy, working on gaining muscle?

Prep for a Tummy-tuck

+1

I would maintain your current routines that have been so successful over the past year. For the week before surgery don't skimp on calories. Your body will do a good job burning calories as your incisions are healing. 

Check carefully with your surgeon as you resume exercising after surgery. Best wishes.

Prepping for tummy tuck

+1

I would recommend that you got as close to your ideal weight as possible prior to surgery.  That being said in the month leading up to the surgery, I would not restrict my calories.  You want your body tuned up and ready for the surgery.  In the two weeks prior, I would make sure you take a daily multivitamin and eat a healthy diet including plenty of protein.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1

I would just continue with what you have been doing.  Protein intake and multivitamin support with a well balance diet is critical.  If you are within 20 lbs of your ideal weight, then weight loss before the surgery or after will probably have no effect on the long term surgical result.  Congrats.  Good luck.

Pre Tummy Tuck Routine

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. Presently, all you need to do before your tummy tuck is maintain your nutrition without regaining any of the weight you have lost. Maintaining your general nutrition is the most important thing you can do. Have your regular physician check you out to make sure your protein and electrolytes are normal. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Preoperative routine before tummy tuck.

+1

Wow! Congratulations on a job well done. You should be very proud of your accomplishment. My recommendation is to eat a well-balanced diet and maintain your current weight and nutrition. Gaining more muscle will not necessarily effect your surgery, but does increase your metabolism. Good luck and great job transforming your life. 

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon