Deviated Septum / Septoplasty?

I looked in the mirror recently and noticed that my nostrils are kind of asymmetrical and the connecting piece in the middle is not aligned very well with the indentation above my lip. After some googling I discovered that I may have a deviated septum. This would make sense because I've always had problems breathing and usually can only breathe out of one nostril at a time because the other is always stuffed up. So, do I have a deviated septum or am I just overreacting? What should I do?

Nose

+1

Yes it looks from the "worm's eye" view that the septum is more in the right airway. If you are having bresthing problems correcting a deviated septum should help.

Deviated Septum

+1

Your pictures show thatr you may have a deviated septum and/or asymmetry of  the tip cartilages. The fact that you have compromised breathing  suggests you do have septal problems. Your question can be easily answered after an examination.

How to tell if you have a deviated septum

+1

It can be difficult for someone to tell if they have a deviated septum on their own. The fact that your columella deviates a bit to your left may indicated that the very end of the septum (caudal septum) is deviated that way.

To really assess whether your septum is causing your breathing issues you should visit with an otolaryngologist (ENT) or facial plastic surgeon to get an assessment of your entire nasal airway.

You may also have other issues contributing to your nasal obstruction such as allergies, oversized turbinates, polyps, internal or external nasal valve collapse, etc. All of these things can be assessed during your visit.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Your septum is most likely contributing to the crooked nose

+1

By your description of your breathing issues, you most likely have a deviated septum. The difference in your nostrils is also most likely due to a deviation of the septum at the very end of the cartilage called the caudal septum. Ultimately an examination by an ENT physician or facial plastic surgeon can determine the issue at hand.

Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon