Deviated Septum Repair Combined with Rhinoplasty?

I am considering getting a procedure done to help with my breathing, if my doctor thinks that is the best route to take (I have not asked yet). I have not been able to breathe out of the left nostril for as long as I can remember. My question is, if my insurance would pay for the health related procedure, would I be able to save myself some money by combining that with a nose job/rhinoplasty? With the cosmetic procedure of course coming out of my pocket Thank you, Jon

Combining rhinoplasty with insurance covered procedure

+1

There is a small cost saving associated with having both the septoplasty and rhinoplasty performed together at the same time.  There are co-pays and deductibles that must be met with your insurance component of the surgery (septoplasty), however it is certainly acceptable to perform both the septoplasty and rhinoplasty concurrently as long as the patient is paying for the cosmetic portion (rhinoplasty) of the nose.

Funtional Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes you can combine and should combine the procedures.  You will save some money but more importantly you can get a nice looking nose you can breath through. Insurance companies are used to being scammed when these procedures are combined so the payment to correct the breathing problem will be only a small part of the total cost.

Dr. Kearney

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Deviated Septum Repair Combined with Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, you would be able to save money by having both procedures together as there would most likely be a reduced facility fee and anesthesia fee on the second procedure. You are correct that you would be responsible for all fees related to the cosmetic procedure.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Combined Septal Repair with Cosmetic Rhinoplasty

+1

An insurance company will usually pay for the septal surgery, but you will be responsible for the cosmetic work. I encourage you to do both procedures together because it will cost you less money.

Septoplasty is covered by insurance and the cosmetic portion Rhinoplasty is your responsibility

+1
It is very important when doing Rhinoplasty to correct any breathing issues that you have at the time of surgery. Your surgeons insurance billing department may get preauthorization or a breakdown of covered costs for you. Depending on the insurance company they may have a cap on the outpatient facility and then depending on the policy they will give you a percentage they pay of the surgeons fee and anesthesia fee. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Insurance pays only for functional breathing surgery

+1

I know surgeons should by law only charge insurance for legitimate breathing surgery. Many unethical ones tweek the operative description to get insurance to pay for cosmetic work. If your doctor suggests this go elsewhere. You dont want to commit insurance fraud

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Rhinoplasty with septal deviation.

+1

The part of the surgery for your septum and turbinates is covered.  You would have to pay just for the cosmetic portion. 

It's common to have your nasal obstruction addressed at the time of Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

Many patients requesting Rhinoplasty Surgery also have functional issues that may be addressed at the time of Rhinoplasty Surgery. Your surgeon's office could check your benefits to see if you would be eligible to have the functional portion of your surgery covered by your 3rd party insurance.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Insurance will cover the deviated septum repair but not the rhinoplasty (cosmetic portion)

+1

It is not unusual to combine both functional (e.g. deviated septum repair to improve breathing) and cosmetic (e.g. tip refinement to improve appearance) changes into a single rhinoplasty procedure. In fact, many of my rhinoplasty cases include deviated septum repair (see link below for examples).

Insurance will cover the septoplasty portion of the procedure (though how much they cover will depend on the type of plan you have), which certainly helps defray part of the total cost. 

Generally, pre-authorization from the insurance company for the deviated septum portion of the procedure needs to be obtained before surgery (rather than after), but this is usually a straight forward process that involves sending them a letter and photos detailing the condition.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Can do both together

+1

Yes, they can be done at the same time. What your insurance will pay for the septum depends on your insurance. Talk to the doctor you are going to and they will discuss this all with you. The cosmetic part, is out of pocket.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD