Deviated Septum from Fracture Long Time Ago. Would Surgery Require Re-breaking The Nose?

When I was child of 4 or 5 (I'm now 50) I was hit in the face with a baseball. It broke my nose. As my folks had inadequate insurance nothing was really done for it. I have what I would consider a severely deviated septum. I can sleep comfortably only on my right side or with the use of a "Breathright" strip. Plus the nose is a bit deformed - adds character I suppose. If I have surgery, would this require a re-breaking of the nose? If so, will this drastically change the look of it?

Repair of deviated septum

+2

Repair of a deviated septum may at time require repair of uneven nasal bones. Technically this would be called a septorhinoplasty. If your nose is crooked it usually take correction of both the cartilage and bones in order to get it straight. Unless you want additional cosmetic changes it should not be drastically different other than looking straighter.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/

What Is Required In Fixing A Deviated Septum Due To A Fracture

+1

In most cases a deviated septum has also a deviated cranial bulb. Therefore, in most cases, yes you do have to re-break the nose. But in more mild cases the nose looks fine, you just need to have a submucosal resection which involves just taking out a little bend in the cartilage septum itself.

Is breaking the nose necessary to repair a deviated septum which resulted from an old nasal fracture?

+1

In general, straightening a crooked nose is a very difficult procedure and requires a specialist. It is possible to make great improvements, but not possible to get the nose 100% straight. When a crooked nose is straightened, it appears slightly different, of course. However, a skilled surgeon is able to create a nose that that looks completely natural on your face. In most cases, it is not evident there was ever surgery.  As with any procedure, it really depends on your individual circumstances.  A deviated septum can lead to a deviated nose. When the nose is crooked, fracturing of the nasal bones (osteotomies) is necessary in order to straighten it -- there is just no way around it.  In your case, the results will not only be aesthetic, they will also lead to better breathing and sleeping.  So it is worth considering.  I recommend a consultation with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. S/he will be able to discuss your options and explain what procedures are right for you.  Check into it further.  I think you will be glad you did.

+1

It depends on what part, of the septum is deviated.  The septum is cartilage in the front and bone in the back.  The deviated cartilage can be cut out but the bony deflection, of the septum has to be removed with bone forceps or a similar way to remove bone.  Septoplasty will not straighten the outside of the nose...that would require a Rhinoplasty or combined it's called a Septorhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Break Or Not To Break Nasal Bones To Fix A Broken Childhood Nose

+1

Without physical examination, it is hard to determine whether re-breaking your nasal bones is necessary or not.

Nonetheless, if you were to fix a deviated septum only (septowhinoplasty), the chances that you will have a drastically different nasal look hence facial composition are very low.

I recommend that you seek a consultation with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience who can examine you and provide you with all possible options fitting your case so you can make a well informed decision.

I am sure that addressing your issue properly will change the quality of your sleep time; which is a major benefit overall.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Appearance of nose may change if nasal bones need to be moved

+1

If the problem is limited to the nasal septum there will be no need to reposition the nasal bones.  If there is a deformity or asymmetry of the nasal bones they will most likely need to be incised and moved as a part of the procedure.  I would suggest consulting with a surgeon experienced in both cosmetic and functional nasal surgery to discuss your options.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Previous Nasal Fractures

+1

If there is deviation or asymmetry of the nasal bones, or a hump that will be removed it will be necessary to break the bones. The answer to your question depends on your appearance and goals which will be discussed during your consultation.

Septum

+1

It all depends on your anatomy and CT scan in order to fully evaluate your condition.  It is best to have a Facial Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon who has also been trained as a Head & Neck Surgeon explain this to you in person.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated septum repair

+1

Internal nasal septal surgical correction does not require any "breaking". If you have external deviation of the nasal bones then an osteotomy would be required to straighten them. Many of my male patients with deviated noses only request straightening with minimal cosmetic change to keep it in balance.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the crooked nose.

+1

The bones only need to be broken if the bones are deviated.  If it is just the lower half of the nose then no.