Will Getting my Deviated Septum Fixed Help Prevent Sinus Infections?

I've gotten a sinus infection and uri almost monthly for about a year now and was told by my PCP that my ins. will pay for a nose job. I like the way my nose looks but I'm very tired of being sick all the time. Will getting the nose job make it where i'm sick less?

Sinus Surgery and septoplasty

+2

If you are happy with the sape of your nose you don't need to have rhinoplasty done. Septoplasty can improve your sinus infections.

However, I have done many cases of both Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery and Septo-Rhinoplasty with great success. If you decide to do that, make sure you see an experienced surgeon in bothe fields.

Septoplasty can help you breathe and improve your sinus function without changing your nose

+1

A "nose job" is a rhinoplasty, the goal of which is to improve the cosmetic appearance of the nose.  Surgery to improve your breathing, or to improve the function of your sinuses on he inside of the nose, the functional part of your nose, is a whole different thing.  

Your sinus infections could be influenced by many factors, including: 

1. the the structure of your nose (a deviated septum, large inferior turbinates, or blocked sinus outflow tracts

2. allergies

3. systemic medical problems

I would recommend seeking consultation and examination by a board certified ear nose and throat surgeon who can perform an exam (likely do a CT scan of your sinuses as well), and discuss the best plan to help you breathe and help you with your recurrent sinusitis.

Dara Liotta, MD

Deviated septum

+1
Correcting a deviated septum will improve your nasal airway but will not correct the sinus issues you are having. You need a formal evaluation of your sinuses and possible sinus surgery See an experienced ENT with facial plasic surgery training for your sinus, nasal airway, and cosmetic nasal concerns.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon