Will Rhinoplasty Fix My Deviated Septum and the Bump on my Nose? (photo)

Will my in insurance cover it? I know I have a deviated septum but will it fix the bump or will I need rhinoplasty to fix that?

Cosmetic versus Functional Rhinoplasty

+1

In many rhinoplasty patients it is not uncommon for a cosmetic rhinoplasty patient to have functional problems as well. If they have nasal airway obstruction problems it can be attributed to internal nasal valve collapse or deviated septum, but this may or may not be covered by insurance. It is certainly separate from the cosmetic external portion of the nose and should not be intermingled. However, fixing a dorsal hump does not improve nasal airway obstruction.

Insurance Coverage for Septoplasty and Hump Removal

+1

Insurance will usualy cover surgery to straighten the septum and improve nasal breathing. You will have to pay for the cosmetic work - removal of the hump. Your surgeon's staff can contact your insurance company to determine your coverage.

Insurance coverage for septoplasty and bump on nose

+1

Insurance typically covers surgery to improve functional breathing problems (such as septoplasty). It doesn't normally cover surgery to change the shape of your nose unrelated to how you breathe (such as bump removal). You can have a combined insurance covered septoplasty and non covered cosmetic rhinoplasty at the same time, of course.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty needed for bump - not septoplasty

+1

Insurances will typically cover procedures to help improve nasal obstruction.  The extent of coverage varies based on the details of the insurance plan.  Insurance will not cover procedures that address nasal shape but are not necessary to improve nasal obstruction (i.e. hump removal)

Sam Naficy, MD

Rhinoplasty to reduce bump on nose and fix septum

+1

Insurance companies differ on how 'generous' they are in allowing cosmetic surgery to fall under a claim for a functional problem such as a nasal septal deviation. If the nose is deviated externally then a reduction of the bump associated with refracturing of the nose would be covered in most instances. Check with your insurance representative for more detailed answers. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO