Is My Deviated Septum Serious Enough to Fix During Rhinoplasty?

I had 3 consults for a primary rhinoplasty. The last surgeon found i have a deviated septum. I really dont have breathing issues. Should i get this fixed? Also should i only go with the surgeon who found this deviation? I like the last 2 i saw. I was leaning towards the second surgeon but he asked me if i had breathing issues at my consult and i said no. By the way, i am just going to have tip work done. No bridge work is nessacary. Both surgeons agreed with that. Help please. Thank You!

When to fix deviated septum during rhinoplasty

+1

A board certified ear, nose, and throat doctor should determine whether or not you have a deviated septum by physical examination of your nose.  Chances are you do not have a deviated septum since you are not symptomatic for breathing issues.  You can proceed with just the tip-plasty procedure as long as there are no underlying breathing issues.

Do I need a septorhinoplasty?

+1

Not all septums are straight.  The degree of septal deviation and symptoms are determining factors in performing a septoplasty in conjunction with a rhinoplasty.  Just because someone said you have a deviated septum; it does not mount to a surgical procedure.  At the same time, I agree with some of my colleagues that some individuals are used to a suboptimal breathing. When they are asked whether they have breathing problem, they answer “NO”.  It would be best to see a facial plastic surgeon in your area.

Kevin Sadati, DO

No septal surgery is necessary in your case.

+1

If you do not have breathing problems or sinusitis, and no external deviation from the septal cartilage then you do not need the septoplasty. You can just have the nasal tip Rhinoplasty that you sought consultation for in the first place. Choose an experienced qualified Rhinoplasty surgeon who is Board Certified in his specialty.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

IMHO, your statemtnt that you don't have breathing problems answers the question.  No, you would not seem to be a candidate for Septoplasty which is designed to remove crooked sections of the septum in order to improve the nasal airway in people with problems breathing through their nose.  

Fix Septum During Rhinoplasty?

+1

We cannot evaluate your septum without an examination but you may have more obstruction than you realize. I once did a rhinoplasty on a professional athlete who informed me that her breathing was excellent, but I convinced the patient that the septum should be straightened. After surgery she realized that she had achieved the # 1 ranking in the world with significant nasal obstruction. I recommend that you do the septoplasty.

Deviated septum

+1

Most people have some deviation in the septum.  This becomes necessary to correct when it affects breathing and/or it can affect the cosmetic outcome.  

Septal deviation and rhinoplasty

+1

Very few have a absolutely straight septum, and if your airway is functioning normally we would think that the septum is best left alone. Something must be broken to need fixing.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Need physical examination to determine deviated septum

+1

Without a physical examination it is impossible to determine if you have a deviated septum. However if a surgeon stated you have one then it is best to get fixed at the same time as the rhinoplasty. I fix all deviated septums during a septorhinoplasty. Which is a combination of septoplasty which is the functioning portion of the procedure and rhinoplasty which is the cosmetic portion of the procedure. It is important to correct the septum because you may not have breathing problems now however, after your rhinoplasty you may have problems if not corrected. I take into account all functioning aspects of the nose during the rhinoplasty to make sure that the nose is both aesthetically pleasing and well functioning.

Michael Elam, MD

Do I need a septoplasty?

+1

That's a bit tough without examining your nose.  However, I would have a hard time leaving a significantly deviated septum alone during rhinoplasty, but I'm biased as an ENT/Facial Plastic Surgeon.  In my hands, I almost always harvest cartilage from the septum for grafting and in doing so would correct any septal deviation.  One thing to consider is that just because you don't have breathing problems now doesn't mean you won't after surgery.  I see this all the time in revision cases where no septoplasty or other maneuvers were done to prevent new onset breathing issues.  The reason is that some cosmetic maneuvers done to shape the tip or take down bumps on the bridge can cause slight narrowing of the airway that might make an underlying septal deviation symptomatic, even if it want not prior to surgery.  Good luck.

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon