Deviated Septum, Breathing Problems, Round, Desire Pointy Nose. Options, Costs, Insurance? (photo)

i have a deviated septum and hate my nose. I can't breath out of one of my nostrils and ontop of that, it seems too big for my face and it widens even more when i smile. I also do not like that it is rounded like Shreks nose as opposed to pointed like everyone elses. If i were to get surgery, what could i do? And if insurance did not cover it, approximately how much would i need to save?

Treatment of Shrek Nose

+1

You do not have a Shrek nose but a septorhinoplasty will improve your appearance by correcting the asymmetry, narrowing and refining the tip while improving nasal breathing. Insurance usually contributes to the cost of improving nasal function. The surgeon's office should help you determine what your policy will cover. The cost of the entire operation will vary depending on your location and the experience of your surgeon. Having said that, the most experienced surgeon is frequently not the most expensive.

Surgery to improve breathing and appearance of nose

+1

Breathing problems can be caused by a variety of issues; deviated septum, large turbinates or valve collapse (when the upper lateral cartilage herniates into the airway).  Surgery to treat breathing related problem is performed out of medical necessity and is billed to the patient’s medical insurance. 
A rhinoplasty is done for cosmetic reasons such as changing external shape of the nose, narrowing the bridge, removing the hump, and narrowing a wide bulbous tip.  This makes the nose better balanced with facial features.  Even though the nose is smaller and narrower, it will still widen somewhat upon animation.  The average price of a rhinoplasty is $6000-$8000 which usually includes the operating room, anesthesia, and the surgeon’s fee. 
Combination cases like this are quite common where both the functional and cosmetic surgeries are performed simultaneously under one anesthetic. The internal functional component is billed to the patient’s medical insurance, but remember that there are always co-pays and deductibles that will apply in this scenario.  This is in addition to the cosmetic portion of the nose.  It is important to have your surgery performed at Medicare certified surgery center and that your anesthesia is administered by a board certified physician anesthesiologist.

Rhinoplasty

+1

If you have airway difficulty and septal deviation this may be covered by insurance. AS for the tip and width of the nsoe these can be treated as well, but refinement will be limited by the thickness of the soft tissues.

Correcting a Big Nose

+1

Correction of a functional problem such as inability to breathe through one of your nostrils should be covered by your insurance.  Occasionally, a large, poorly supported nose that collapses with inspiration can also be covered.  This would be determined at the time of your consultation.  From your photos, I would suspect that the tip would end up being a cosmetic repair.  Expect to pay $ 4-6000  for the additional work depending upon the city you live in.  Finally, from an aesthetic viewpoint, you may want to consider some chin enhancement to better balance your face.  This will make your nose look smaller.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for "Shrek nose".

+1

It is not a Shrek nose but yes the tip could be refined and the nose straightened.  Insurance reimbursement varies but will cover the septal deviation you have.