I Have a Deviated Septum. Am I a Good Candidate for Septo-/Rhinoplasty? What Would You Recommend? (photo)

I'm a 27 y/o female. About 15 years ago I had a sports injury that I believe caused my nose to bend to the left. It wasn't too noticeable in my teens, but I think the bend, the tip unevenness, & tip droop when I smile have increased over the years- friends & family have noticed. I have frequent sinus infections (2-4 a year), frequent colds, & constant difficulty breathing through my nose. I don't want a radically different nose but I would like to have a straight, less droopy one. Thank you!

Septorhinoplasty

+1

I would first recommend an exam by a board certified ENT to determine the cause of your sinus issues. Next, I would recommend an evaluation by a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. They will be able to examine your nose in person and determine what may help. Subtle changes can be made to improve the appearance of the nose while making functional improvements as well. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyspecialist.com/

Septorhinoplasty for deviated septum

+1

Given your history of sinus infections you need to have a full nasal exam to make sure your only problem is the deviated septum and drooping tip. It would be a shame to fix the septum and tip without fixing the cause of the sinus infections at the same time. If it turns out that the septum is blocking the sinus outflow straightening it should do the trick.

The C-shaped septum visible in your posted photos is usually straightened by removing a central back piece of the cartilage via an incision inside the nose. That usually allows the remaining septal cartilage to straighten. Removal of the small muscles that pull the tip down can also be done via an incision inside the nose.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Nasal obstruction, sinus issues, rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal obstruction can be caused by a variety of issues such as a nasal fracture, a deviated septum, valve collapse, and vestibular stenosis, and turbinate hypertrophy. In internal  nasal examination would be required to determine what is the source of the nasal obstruction. Very commonly, a deviated septum results from a sports injury when the nose is broken. Sinus related issues are created from polyps located  inside the sinuses which create chronic sinus infections and facial headaches. Endoscopic sinus surgery is used to remove  the polyps. A rhinoplasty is performed for cosmetic purposes, and in this particular case straightening out the bridge line with osteotomies, insertion of a spreader graft on the concave side, raising the tip, and releasing the depressor septi ligament of the tip  will prevent the tip from drooping upon smiling. A  cosmetic rhinoplasty procedure must be paid for by the patient, while functional sinus and breathing surgery is submitted to the patient's medical insurance for medical necessity.  All these procedures can be performed simultaneously. Please see the link below for further information on deviated septum sinus disease and rhinoplasty.Virtual rhinoplasty imaging software is also available in our website for you to try

Web reference: http://www.seattle-rhinoplasty.com

I Have a Deviated Septum. Am I a Good Candidate for Septo-/Rhinoplasty? What Would You Recommend?

+1

First see ENT to correct sinus issues. Than rhinoplasty surgery for septa-rhinoplasty options. Good luck. 

+1

A septorhinoplasty should improve breathing and can improve the look of the nose with regard to the bend and the droopy tip.  Just find a rhinoplasty surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty together

+1

It is very common to perform a septoplasty and rhinoplasty together.  Go to a qualified rhinoplasty specialist.

Rhinoplasty for the crooked nose etc.

+1

A rhinoplasty by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon is what u need to straighten your nose, remove the bump refine the tip and elevate it as well 

Well-performed Septo-Rhinoplasty Surgery may lead to a straighter, more effeminate appearance of your nose.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

You appear to have thin skin, along with an indentation along your right bridge, and a droopy nasal-tip. You may wish to consult several rhinoplasty specialists to see what you could expect to achieve after rhinoplasty surgery. Computer imaging may be helpful for you and your surgeon.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Web reference: http://ericmjoseph.com/

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Aesthetic and functional improvement with septorhinoplasty

+1

With your aesthetic concerns and your nasal obstructive issues, you are a great candidate for septorhinoplasty.  In the hands of a qualified surgeon you can reasonably expect your breathing and appearance to improve .  The surgeon is more important than technique, so focus on finding a board certified rhinoplasty specialist you "click" with, then let him or her recommend what is best for your nose.