Deviated Nose, Trouble Breathing, Will My Nose Be Straight? (photo)

Hi, I'm 27 year old female and have had a deviated nose since I was six. I've also had trouble breathing. I plan on having a septorhinoplasty soon and have a few questions. 1) Can the deviation be corrected, that is, will my nose be straight after the surgery? 2) Can the tip be reduced? I find it to be a bit bulbous.. 3) Will the philtrum be "pulled" to the center by moving the nose to the center? It seems as the deviation of the nose moved the philtrum as well.. Thank you for your answer.

The deviated nose

+3

This is one of those cases where form follows function. There is probably a significant septal deviation internally that is setting up the distorted external architecture of your nose. You may also need some spreader grafts in the middle vault to improve breathing. Do you have allergies? The nasal bones need straightening and this may require extensive septal surgery to prevent relapse and  deviation later on. 

Yes your nose can be straightened. I agree with reducing your bulbous tip too. Statistically, re-operation for a crooked nose may be necessary for minor asymmetries due to relapse of the deviated septum. Techniques have improved though and, this is less common these days. 

Correction of Deviation with Septorhinoplasty

+2

The correction of the bony deviation can be done with osteotomies.  The dorsal aesthetic line can be improved through a variety of manuevers.  The septal strut will likely have to be altered as well both along the dorsum and at the caudal aspect.  The nasal tip can be mase less bulbous as well.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty

+2

A perfectly straight nose is impossible, but improvement can be made. You may also have deviation of the septum which may need to be corrected. The tip looks like it has thick tissue and may impact the refinement. An exam in person is really key because one photo does not show it all.

#Rhinoplasty for a Deviated Nose

+2

From only one photo it is impossible to tell, but there is a good chance you can improve your nose and possibly breathing through a septorhinoplasty. Your bridge is not only deviated but narrow, the tip is disproportionately large and then the columella is retracted - likely making it not seen from the side. All of this needs to be in better balance to make it more attractive. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Deviated Nose, Trouble Breathing, Will My Nose Be Straight?

+2

You've posed several very astute questions. It would be easier to answer your questions with additional photos. The single image you've posted suggests that you might have some degree of underlying facial (not just the nose) asymmetry. This, the nose can be straightened but that might not make your face totally symmetric as your nasal procedure cannot be expected to change any underlying facial asymmetry. If you want to post additional photos, I can give you a more accurate answer. Otherwise, your plastic surgeon should be able to give you this information during your consultation. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for straightening the nose,etc.

+2

Rhinoplasty for straightening the nose,etc. can be done and your goals achieved if you choose a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. The goal is improvement and not perfection which cannot be achieved in every nose.

Deviated nose and trouble breathing

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. The good news is that there are ways to help. It is not possible to get the nose 100% straight, but improvements can be made. The septum can be made straight and your breathing will improve. The nasal tip can be refined to make it appear less bulbous. Keep in mind that patients with thicker skin may not always be able to achieve the level of definition they desire. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He/she will be able to examine your nose in person and provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Deviated septum and nose

+1

Straightening out the septum will improve airflow dynamics thru the nose.  It will have no bearing on the outside of the nose, except for the base view, along the caudal septum.  A cosmetic rhinopasty can reduce the bulbous  tip so that it will be in better balance with the rest of the nose.  Straightening the septum will not alter the philtrum

+1

Thanks for the questions and ONE posted frontal view photo. #1. Yes, hopefully, #2. Yes, #3. Philitium not usually effected by the deviation of the nose. Answering your concerns is all well and good but I believe you need to met with your chosen surgeon to finalize ALL your concern prior to surgery.