Is This a Deviated Nose?

I think broke my nose when I was younger. I never received surgery for it. It grew out shape when I reached my teen years. It looks more crooked looking at it on the sides.

Deviated nose

+3

No, yours is not a deviated nose. There are some basic criteria that your nose does fall into the category for though and that includes the typical features of an african american nose with a wide alar base, probably a dorsal concavity deformity, there is a slight deviation to the side but that does not characterize your nose as deviated. Those noses that are deviated are the hockey player type noses with a moderate to very clear bend in them. Your lower lateral cartilages look like they may be very weak and deficient (if you press on your nasal tip feel if the tip collapses very easily - if so then your cartilage is, in fact weak). Your plastic surgeon will need to evaluate your nose and talk to you about what will be needed. It is not easy to change an african american nose's shape. If your interest is merely to correct the deviation it is also difficult but seems a more reachable goal.

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeade

Deviated Nose

+2

In viewing your photo, it appears that the nasal bones were broken in the past with the nasal bones and attached cartilages deviated to your right side (left on the photo). Accordingly, there is a convexity on the right side and a concavity on the left side of your nose. The lower half of your nose appears to be aligned and relatively midline. In your case, correction may be achieved by either open reduction of the nasal bones performing osteotomies (nasal breaks at desired locations). This should realign your nose into the midline and make it straight. If there is a bump on your nose as seen on your profile, it may be desirable to remove this bump first and then perform the osteotomies (desirable fractures). This would fall more into the realm of a partial rhinoplasty. I assume that there is no nasal tip, septal or nostril work desired. If it is desired, a complete rhinoplasty or septoplasty would be required.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

A crooked nose may be due to a wide variety of problems

+1

While examiing your photos I cannot appreciate a true deviation. However, only a detailed nasal exam and high quality photos can truly reveal such subtleties. You do have a nose that is typical for an African American male (thick skin, wide base, and broad dorsum). I would recommend booking a consulation with a surgeon skilled in ethnic rhinoplasty. I have seen many African American individuals in my practice who have previously undergone rhinoplsty "elsewhere" and were unhappy with the results as their noses now seemed to be too sculpted and made to look caucasian. Hopefully this helps! Good luck to you! 

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated Nose

+1

I cannot be sure when viewing your pictures, but it appears your nose is straight with asymmetry of the nasal bones. See a surgeon with experience in ethnic rhinoplasty, specifically African-American noses, to help you decide what changes you desire, such as narrowing the nose, increasing projection, and narrowing the nasal base.

Ethnic nose skin thickness makes diagnosis of deviation difficult

+1

You have a fairly typical ethnic nose-thick skin, flat dorsum, broad ala, and poor tip support. If there is deviation it is difficult to detect because of the thick skin (at least from the submitted photograph). In any event, it is so unremarkable that surgery would not be indicated to address that specific problem.

Deviated nose

+1

Your nose appears slightly crooked. I would be able to give you the best advice after seeing additional photos and performing an examination. Thank you, and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Crooked noses can be straightened.

+1

Your nose looks crooked but you need to have it examined by a rhinoplasty specialist. Make sure the surgeon does a large number of natural appearing African-American noses if you are going to change the cometic look as well.

If you think your nose is crooked it probably is

+1

The definition of a deviated nose is one that is crooked. One way that we make sure is to take 3/4 photographs from both sides. These will often look quite different for a deviated nose. There are a number of ways to make a nose straighter. Additionally, many patients with crooked noses also have a deviated septum inside. When the outside of the nose is pushed in one direction, the septum often goes the other way. If this really bothers you, I suggest you seek out a rhinoplasty specialist to see how your nose can be straightened.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD