I Think I Deviated my Septum or Broke my Nose? Expert Opinion Please! (photo)

Or broke my nose at some point (I played a lot of sports, and still do today)... At some point I realized it sloped towards the left side of my face. I have trouble breathing out of my right nostril, and if you look inside the nostril you can see what looks like polyps or glands-- not visible in the left nostril.

Deviated septum

+1

Direct trauma to the nose may result in a deviated septum, which can impair breathing. A septorhinoplasty can address this issue. An examination would really be necessary to provide you with the best advice. I would recommend seeking the advice of a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to determine the exact cause of your impaired breathing after examining your nose in person. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

I Think I Deviated my Septum or Broke my Nose? Expert Opinion Please!

+1

From the photos, the nose has what's called a "C-shaped" deformity that indicates previous nasal trauma.  Examination of the nasal septum would be required to determine the extent of any septal deviation.  A Septorhinoplasty would remove the deviatied septum as well as straighten the nasal bones and thin the tip (if desired).

Deviated septum and rhinoplasty

+1

good morning Ms. Lee

first off get an in person examination and consultation with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon or ENT. You do appear to have external deviation to the left which usually is associated with internal deviation of the septum to the opposite side. To truly correct your breathing issues you may require what is referred to as an "open septorhinoplasty". This would result in some difference in the appearance of the nose and much improved breathing. You also have what appears to be a very narrow nose which typically means you have a narrow internal valve or nasal anatomy. You may also require some cartilage grafting referred to as alar batten grafts.

Insurance may cover much of this but if you desire additional cosmetic changes you may be paying out-of-pocket for those portions. Your healing time would be in the neighborhood of 7 to 10 days and you would likely have silicones plans internally for 5 to 7 days to keep the septum in the midline.

Hope that was hopeful

Chase Lay, MD
double board certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

You certainly do have  nasal septal issues. Best to obtain IN PERSON opinions from boarded rhinoplasty doctors in your city///

Broken nose and deviated septum

+1

A deviated septum is  a very common occurrence after a nasal fracture. A septoplasty along with a rhinoplasty can address improving the breathing and straightening the nose. Medial and lateral osteotomies will need to be performed of the nasal bones, spreader grafts are placed on the concave upper lateral cartilage area, and tip surgery is occasionally required to straighten the nose. Please see the link below for examples of broken noses we have repaired in our rhinoplasty practice

Deviated Septum, Broken Nose

+1

It is impossible to tell if you broke your nose but your septum is deviated and your nose is crooked. The picture does not show the inside of your nose but but an examination during consultation will determine the size of your airway.