Can a Deviated Caudal Septum Be Straightened by Massage? (photo)

I am 2 months post op and seem to have what is a deviated caudal septum.( crooked piece of cartilage between by nostrils) my doctor has told me to massage it to help straighten it. However I don't see this fixing it . Is this something that will require a revision most likely?

Can a Deviated Caudal Septum Be Straightened by Massage?

+1

It's unwise for patients to apply pressure to the nose in an attempt to move nasal structures after a Rhinoplasty.  You should have this conversation with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

Massage to Correct A Deviated Septum? #nosejob

+1

Thanks for your question. I have not ever really heard that massaging would straighten a deviated septum. What I would tell you is that you are very early in the post operative period. Nobody knows your situation better than your surgeon. He/she may have reasons for recommending this so try it. But I would not expect changes for months. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Massage to straighten a deviated caudal septum

+1

Massage is unlikely to move the caudal septum, but it may help with uneven skin swelling. That may be why your surgeon recommended massaging the area.

At this point it makes the most sense to allow your nose to heal to see how the area evolves. There are ways of treating caudal septal deviation in the future if needed.

You can read more about this treatment at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Septal deviation after surgery

+1

The deviation of nasal septum can not be improved by any massage.However it should be decided after a year whether any surgical revision is necessary or not.

Anup Dhir, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

After Rhinoplasty Septal Deviation

+1

More important than massage is the passage of time after rhinoplasty. While massage certainly won't adversely affect the septum it is unlikely to make it better either. You need to give the result a full sis months to heal and then determine if the deviation is sufficient to justify a surgical revision.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Post op crooked septum

+1

In my opinion massage of the septum would have no effect on straightening it.  I would just give it more time to see what your final result looks like before considering any type of surgical revision.