Development of Ptosis in non operated eye.

I had ptosis surgery on the left eye 5 days ago. A day later I noticed my right eye lid started to droop.

Ptosis a day after surgery

+2

Although this is too early to tell, I would strongly advise contacting your surgeon and having an in person assessment to decide if there is need for corrective action at this point.

Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brain phenomenon

+1

This is not unusual when asymmetric ptosis is present. Your brain is increasing the tone to the droopy eyelids, and when the droopier eyelid is improved, the tone will decrease, and the other eyelid will settle [Hering's Phenomenon]

This can sometimes be detected before surgery, but not always.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Non operated eyelid drooping

+1

Your surgeon should have mentioned that this may happen. The reason is called Hering's phenomenon. Basically both eyes have ptosis but the left eye is worse. The brain compensates by trying to lift both eyelids which may result in the right eye appearing normal. Once the left eye is corrected, the ptosis on the right is revealed. Sometimes we can tell this will happen at the initial exam and recommend the operation on both eyes simultaneously.

If this persists and there is no other abnormality, you may need to return to the OR for the operation on the right.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon