Skin Necrosis Pain After Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck

I developed necrosis after a breast aug and full abdominplasty and after 5wks am having great pain on all affected skin. feels like the worst sunburn I've ever had. I've followed Doctors advise to message 10 times a day and it hurts so bad I could scream! can't sleep, and it just hurts all the time. what should I do?

Check Back With Your Doctor

+1

Skin necrosis can cause pain and get infected.  One option is to leave it dry and let the healing continue underneath, however you may need more aggressive treatment such as cleaning off the dead necrotic tissue, enzymatic ointments, or dressings that will clean up the necrotic area.  If your doctor is not being helpful, you should seek a second opinion.  Hopefully the area of necrosis is in your tummy and not in your breasts.   After a breast augmentation, skin necrosis in the breast would be very dangerous and could cause a serious infection. Good luck. 

Marin Plastic Surgeon

Serious Complication of Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck

+1

Regarding : "I developed necrosis after a breast aug and full abdominplasty and after 5wks am having great pain on all affected skin...I've followed Doctors advise to message 10 times a day and it hurts so bad I could scream! can't sleep, and it just hurts all the time." Truly sorry to hear this. Such complications are extremely rare EXCEPT in smokers (even secondary inhalers), diabetics and certain autoimmune diseases (such as lupus).

It is not clear WHICH areas are the ones with skin death (necrosis), the breast(s), the tummy or all three. A picture or two would have been extremely helpful.  In general, dead tissue (like a full thickness burns for example,) is painless because the nerve endings are dead as well. The fact that it is painful MAY mean that only the surface is dead and / or that you are developing an infection from the dead skin area(s).

Make sure you FULLY understand your surgeon's instructions - "message 10 times a day " is NOT the treatment for skin necrosis and possibly underlying infection . All dead skin must be removed. If there is infection, it must be treated aggressively with antibiotics. If the breast implants become exposed, they will have to be removed.

You MUST be followed very closely by your surgeon until the situation has stabilized and is resolving.