Can Someone Develop Keloids from Lip Implant?

I developed keloids on my C-section scar, can some get keloids on their lips if they get a permanent lip implant?

My doctor removed the keloid and sutured again and with some injections it got way better, super flat and small, no more keloids. I have been reading about keloids, I got my ears pierced when I was a baby and didn't get keloids. I am Hispanic, thank you!

Keloid

+1

Keloid is a genetic tendency to form thick big scars. Keloids go beyond the scar area to the normal skin. If you have the two genes then all your scars will be keloid. if you have one gene from one of the parents then some of your scars will form keloids.

There are certain areas of the body that are privilleged and will not form keloid

1. eye lids

2. Pals and soles of feet

3: perineal area

Lip skin potentially can. The red part of the lip rarely develops keloid.

I have never heard of a keloid in the lips

+1

Lip implants do well and look very natural. I have never heard or seen a keloid in the lips. The implants run $1500-2000 per lip and are done under local anesthesia. If you ever do develop a keloid anywhere, there are cortisone shots that treat them well no matter where they are if caught early.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Keloid in the Lip: I have yet to see one

+1

As pointed out by Dr. Esmailian, keloids form in certain parts of the body and are more likely to occur in skin types with greater pigmentation. The risk of keloid in a lip as almost zero.

As far as lip implants go, the only implant that I would recommend is Advanta, and then only by a surgeon very experienced in its use. Lip implants are only for very select non-smoking patients who understand that the implant will be palpable to touch and may have a capacity to contract over time. Advanta success is very technique dependent, requires appropriate stretching and conforming, and requires that extension slightly beyond the pocket in which it is placed. For these reasons, most of my patients choose Juvederm or Restylane for lip augmentation.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid Formation

+1

Certain parts of the body are more prone for keloid formation. The lip area is not a very common area.

What concerns me is the pernanent lip implant you are looking at. Just be careful. Permanent implants for the lip are fraught with complications. You may want to look at fat injections vs fillers.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Keloids

+1

Hi,

It sounds like you may have had a hypertrophic scar which is different than a keloid.

Keloids typically reoccur and grow out of the bounderies of the incision. I have never seen a keloid form on the lips.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS