Devasted at my tt results? (photo)

I have 4 weeks post op of a mommy makeover. (Not a makeover) my stomach looks worse now then before. It's bulging out, and in incisions are terrible. I look 3 months pregnant! So very disappointed, I can't even look at my tummy without crying. When I asked my dr if it was just swollen. He replied, "no your not swollen, this is it" I left in tears. Why is my stomach bulging out and making me look pregnant?

Devastated by tummy tuck results.

+3

As many of my colleagues have stated, I am also sorry you are so unhappy with your early post-operative results. And as they have replied in several ways, your photographs show only early, incomplete results. I can see how you may feel things look "worse now than before" but you knew you were going to have scars you did not have before your surgery. The quality of those scars may be an appropriate concern, but you chose your surgeon on the basis of seeing some of his work, right? I have to agree with you that I certainly have seen better-quality closures than yours, but even less-than-precise closures will get better over time. I can also tell you quite definitively that your surgeon did not add one bit of tissue to your abdomen, he only took away.

Thus, anything that makes you look "3 months pregnant" right now must in fact be swelling. I'm not sure why your surgeon gave you such a dismissive answer, when in fact swelling is ALL it could be, since you didn't gain weight or are really pregnant!

So other than what by your description sounds like a rather thoughtless reply to your understandable question, I have to question why you thought you needed a tummy tuck in the first place (based on the pre-operative photo you included). It appears you did not even have enough loose skin to allow a normal umbilical transposition, so your surgeon used an inverted-T incision. Without more information or a pre-operative physical examination, it's fruitless to speculate about your motivation, realistic expectations, or the quality of assessment, judgment, and informed consent of your plastic surgeon, but it's clear expectations did not meet reality here, and I truly feel bad for you on that account.

For now, let things heal, allow swelling to completely resolve, and if your own surgeon is not providing satisfactory answers to your concerns (or offering revision as needed), you always have the option to seek out additional consultations with ABPS-certified plastic surgeons. Unfortunately, the scars you have are now permanent, and although they can be revised, they cannot be removed. That is why it is essential to know and agree with your surgeon's plan beforehand, as well as trust his judgment should variation be required. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Still Healing

+2
Thank you for your question. The good news is that you are still healing and still swollen. The incisions will continue to improve over the next 12-18 months. The swelling will continue to improve over the next 2-3 months. Best wishes on your recovery.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Devastated with my TT results 4 weeks post op

+1

At 4 weeks post tummy tuck, you are still experiencing some swelling. Everyone is different but it can take up to 6 months for all of your swelling to go down. I'm sure the scar pattern isn't a surprise to you, as you must've discussed it with your surgeon prior to your surgery but yes, the incisions can be better. Good news is that scars can be revised. Give it some time to heal and talk to your surgeon about a scar revision or if you don't feel comfortable going back to your same surgeon, consult with another board certified plastic surgeon to learn your options. Try to be patient and don't be too critical until you have given yourself enough time to heal. Re-evaluate your results and go forward from that point. Best of luck. ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Post op result

+1

It is really too soon post-op to assess a final outcome. As hard as it is, please be patient and let the swelling resolve. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Upset about early tummy tuck results

+1

Try not to get too upset. There is obviously a good bit of swelling left. I think you will see progressive improvement as time goes on. Give it 3-6 months before you worry about whether or not you need any type of revision.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Early Tummy Tuck Results

+1

It is hard to know where you are now when you have not posted before surgery pictures. Your incision lines are early in the healing process and will be much better in 3 to 6 months. Scar revisions and liposuction can be done at that point to further improve the result.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Your tummy Tuck results will improve with time

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. I am very sorry that you are so unhappy with your Tummy Tuck results.

4 weeks is very early in the recovery process and I am sure you have swelling and over the next 2-3 months your results will improve. After 6 months if you are still unhappy a revision of the scars can certainly be done.

Often when patients are disappointed with the protrusion of their tummy it is because of fat inside the abdomen which can be reduced with weight loss.

If you have lost confidence in your plastic surgeon it is acceptable to seek consultation with another plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Devastated at tt results

+1

Thanks for your question, sorry that you are unhappy so far with the results. The only thing I can comment on based on the photos you have posted is the incision, and only on one of the photos is any of it visible.

Although the vertical incision looks rather irregular, skin remodels as it heals, and by 6 months this will be much improved, and should look like a straight line.

As to the bulging, it would be helpful to see a side view, preferably accompanied by a before photo. If you look to the right of the screen under the feature doctors section you will (probably) see properly posed TT photos, from which it is possible to make more useful comments or suggestions. The entire abdomen should be visible on the photo.l

Please consider reposting your question with such photos.

All the best.