What is the cumulative effect of Perlane in regard to longevity?

I have had Perlane injections four times in the past seven years, all done by the same board certified dermatologist. The latest time was a disaster, and I'm still waiting for it to go away. It's been 8.5 months. Is there reason to believe this will last longer than the oft quoted 6-12 months for resorption? Thank you.

Cumulative effect of Perlane

+2
There is some research to show that stacking fillers, or re-adding fillers to a patient before that patient totally returns to baseline, helps fillers last longer. This is because the new filler bonds with some of the filler there, and so the effect is greater and lasts longer. Thus, to answer your question, if you had filler still in there, then the new filler results can last a bit longer than if you had returned to baseline every time in between. I don't know what "disaster" happened, especially considering it's the same injector each time, but Perlane can be dissolved with hyaluronidase. So if you don't want to wait for it to go away, you can have it dissolved.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Longevity of Perlane

+1
Please discuss this with your doctor.

In general, with repetitive injections, the longevity probably increases. Unsatisfactory results can be treated with an enzyme to dissolve the filler.

Timothy Connall, MD