Is Increasing the Size of Implants a Good Idea/safe for Me? (photo)

I currently have 360 and 375cc HP saline implants and they are much smaller than I had anticipated. I am unhappy with the size and I'm considering asking my Dr. to redo the implants to 450, 500 or 550 cc HP silicone. I understand that bigger implants can cause problems-Can this range of increase be done safely without too many risks or complications? I am 5'4, 115 lbs., and naturally used to be a 34A. What size implant would you recommend?

Implants too small

+1

Hi....Yes, you can go larger and I can see what is bothering you.  Your implants are bottoming and you need the fullness above the nipples.  If you increase the implant size and do not touch the inframmary crease, then the additional implant volume will go directly where you want it....below and above the nipple complex.  You will not drop further as long as the crease is not touched as your capsule will support your larger implant.  Going from your size to a 450 would be fruitless.  this is a mere 75 cc or so and this is 5 tablespoons.  Put this on a saucer and you will see that it will hardly be noticeable.   Look at a 100 cc implant and you will not believe how small it is.  With my patients that want to go larger, I will not operate on them unless they go 125 cc or more larger.  This might be really good for you in that that full volume (or more) will go UP and give you the desired fullness in the area you want.  Notice too that your incision is on the lower breast mound.  This tells us that you have dropped but you have probably dropped to the new crease formation that will be more solid for you.  Understand too that this is all discussion and each case is individual.  Ask your ps about the options.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+1

You can always go bigger, but the risk of complications goes up proportionally.  Based on your pictures, you seem to have the beginnings of what could go on to become bottoming out of your implants.  I fear that going with a larger set of implants could make this worse.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Re-doing augmentation with larger implants

+1

This can certainly be done but you have to accept all of the risks of surgery, albeit small, again including bleeding and contractures.  Also, how was the original decision made in implant selection?  Did you choose or your surgeon choose?  You can easily appreciate upsizing by using sizers with an unpadded bra and see what volume you are thinking will do for you.  But in my opinion, I assume you are light years ahead of where you started and that you have a very pleasant look and would suggest that you simply enjoy life and your new look and used padded bras for those special dresses.  Your appearances are quite good.

Curtis Wong, MD

Switching to larger implants

+1

I think you could go bigger, but not by much. Probably 450-475 cc maximum. If you go any larger than this, your risk of complications will be too high. I would recommend the new anatomic (tear drop shaped), gummy bear implants. They will look more natural, and tend not to drop as much or risk "bottoming out" as much.

Zol Kryger, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation redo

+1

It has been my experience, that to go up a bra size takes an implant with100 ccs more than your implants. You almost have 400 ccs so 500 cc implants would probably give you the size you are looking for. Silicone gel implants would probably have a better texture at that size, but assymetry is more easily corrected with saline implants. You may decide not to have surgery as you once again run the risk of a complication, mainly infection or capsule formation(scar tissue)

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Is Increasing the Size of Implants a Good Idea/safe for Me?

+1

Your issue is very common as to choosing a too small of a size. In my internet opinion based only on the posited photos at least a 500 cc HP implant is needed. 

Larger implants?

+1

You already have some bottoming out on one side and with larger implants( more weight) this will put more stress on your folds. Repairing the side that bottomed out would be a good idea, but it may not prevent it from recurring.

Considering increasing the size of implants

+1

If you are looking to increase your breast size by one cup then you will want to increae your implant size by at least 150 to 200 cc.  In addition to the volume change you will need a fold suture on both sides, on the right to correct the bottoming out and on the left to prevent a larger implant from bottoming out.  If you do not have the creases at the same level then the upper pole of the breast will be lower on one side. 

Implants : Is bigger better?

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo. It looks like an excellent result from your initial surgery. Can your body type and frame support larger implants? From you photo I would say yes. Are there additional risks to revision surgery? Yes.

Choosing an implant size is always difficult and many women wish they had gone bigger (or smaller). My recommendation is usually to wait several months to a year before making a decision to revise the initial augmentation, but each case is different. Should you decide to exchange implants make sure to discuss the risks of the procedure with your surgeon and ask to see photos of previous revision patients. Breast revision is a fairly common procedure and I suspect you would do well given your initial results.

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon