I am only 22 years old, and would like to start Botox injections of the forehead. Is 22 too young to start Botox?

I am only 22 years old, and would like to start botox injections of the forehead to prevent deep wrinkles and more imperatively keep a crease from forming between the eyes. Is 22 too young to start botox twice per year as a tool to prevent premature aging?

Botox for young adults

+2
Absolutely not! Botox is a great tool to use preventatively to keep lines from getting to deep, especially between the brows.  

I am only 22yo, and would like to start BoTox injections of the forehead. Is 22 too young to start BoTox?

+2
BoTox, and all forms of Botulinum Toxin A, work by blocking the reuptake of acetylcholine at the neuromuscular junction. By doing so, it inhibits transmission of signals from one neuron to the next at whichever junction it is working on (e.g., neuro junction, sweat gland junction, etc.) The duration of BoTox is typically 3-4 months on average. It can take up to 7 days for it to take effect.

BoTox is an excellent modality to reduce wrinkles caused by facial animation of the forehead, glabellar area, and crow's feet. Nowadays, patients are starting smaller procedures earlier  versus having a drastic change later in life with a dramatic surgical procedure.  Once these bother you enough to consider, have a consultation to discuss the risks and benefits of such.  Thank you for the question! Hope this helps!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Not Too Young

+2
Botox injections can be used for both therapeutic and preventative reduction of lines/wrinkles caused by excess motion. 22 years of age is not too young. Prior to starting Botox injections you should make sure you are also practicing the right habits to have youthful skin such as daily use of sunscreen, good skin care and good health habits.

Dean L. Johnston, MD

Botox can be used as a preventative measure.

+1
Botox can be used as a preventative measure. Seek a consult from an experienced injector who will fully understand your desired result. At 22, the Dr / injector can assess your face regardless of age and inform you of an appropriate treatment. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

22 year old interested in Botox

+1
It is ultimately a personal choice, but I do not feel as if 22 is too young to start getting Botox injections. There are other ways to fight premature aging that are very important as well. Such as avoiding prolonged sun exposure, especially tanning beds, wearing sunscreen with an spf of at least 30 and avoiding tobacco smoke. Make sure to find a highly qualified physician to receive your Botox injections from. Good luck to you.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox at 22

+1
As a preventative measure against wrinkles, there are better steps at the age of 22 to take including a good sun screen, avoidance of over exposure to sun, and no smoking.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox at 22

+1
I do not think that this is too young to start Botox.  I would be conservative with the treatment to keep you looking natural but it can prevent wrinkles from forming later in life.  Also remember to stay out of the sun and avoid smoking.  This will help too!

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

22 with no lines IS too young for Botox or Dysport.

+1
Dear William,
Personally, I do think 22 is too young to start "preventive" Botox. If you have no hint of any faint lines yet at all, there is no need to start spending your money and take on the (minimal) risks of an invasive medical procedure. I hope you will take this to heart and decide not to even think about distant future wrinkles for quite a while.

If you do have a family history of very deep creases later in life, it's ok to start looking into it once you actually have early faint permanent lines. At that point, those lines are TOTALLY REVERSIBLE with good, regular Botox or Dysport treatments. However, at that point, using the minimum effective doses given by a board-certified dermatologist, it's wiser to retreat as soon as yours wears off (3 to 4 months) instead of making an arbitrary "twice yearly" plan, since the intervening months with no treatment will be undoing what you are investing in.

The best thing to do now is smile a lot so your frown lines will stay away, and wear a moisturizer with SPF 30 or higher daily to prevent the dermal breakdown that leads to wrinkles in the first place!

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

IS 22 too young for Botox?

+1
Botox is believed to play a preventative role as well as its well recognized ability to reduce lines caused by contraction of muscles.  If you have strong muscle action, even if you do not have deep lines, it is not unreasonable to undergo preventative treatment. 

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

BOTOX is used for prevention as well as correction

+1
You may be on the young side but if you have done your research and you find that you frown a lot than you could begin treatment at the age of 22.  Studies have been done with twins where one of them started to at a young age (early twenties) and the other never did treatments. There was a significant difference years later in the perceived age of each twin.  There is no doubt , BOTOX (and other neuromodulators) work effectively at preventing aging caused by dynamic wrinkles. 

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon