Average Cost for Going Bigger After First Breast Augmentation?

3 Weeks ago I received breast implants. 350-375cc HP. I am unhappy with the size-they are too small. I expected them to be bigger on my frame. I tried on 375 cc sizers and they felt and looked significantly bigger... Is this because now they are under my muscle? I still feel like my breasts are small and I am considering having surgery again to go up at least 100 cc because I am just not happy with the size. Typically, how much would this cost? How long should I wait?

+1

If you want to go larger, you should increase the volume by at least 100 cc or you may be disappointed again.   The cost will probably be lower if you remain with the same surgeon.  The implants can be exchanged at about 3 months or so depending upon individual healing characteristics.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Going Bigger after Breast Augmentation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment after breast augmentation surgery. Your case is however illustrative and may be helpful to other patients.
 Generally speaking, I think it is problematic to try and decide exactly what size/profile of breast implants will best meet a patient's goals preoperatively. Despite a variety of modalities available preoperatively (all of which made the helpful but not precise enough), I think the  breast implant size/profile decision is best made during surgery after the use of temporary sizers with the patient in the upright position.

At this point, given that you are not happy with the breast size, I would suggest that you communicate these concerns in a calm/constructive fashion with your plastic surgeon. Communicate your goals clearly;  as you know, this communication is key for every patient undergoing breast augmentation or breasts revisionary surgery. In my practice, I find the use of goal pictures helpful during this communication process.

Also, keep in mind that many patients initially after surgery will feel that their breasts are too small or too large only to be quite pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed several months down the line. Therefore, unless you are absolutely certain, best to wait approximately 6 months before evaluating the results of the procedure performed and deciding whether additional surgery is worthwhile.If so clear communication of goals will be important to avoid further   dissatisfaction.

Augmentation Three Weeks Ago, Too Small. Cost of Re-Augmentation and Timing?

+1

One of the main reasons for re-operation after breast augmentation is failure to achieve the desired size. Size revisions are usually to go larger. If the size is perceived as too small soon after surgery, accurate determination of how much larger to go is going to be made more difficult by the swelling that lasts at least two months.  One should wait a while for the swelling to go down, because you want to be as accurate as possible the second time around in determining the size you feel is ideal for you.

Using implant sizers usually results in a very close approximation to the size that makes the patient happy. Women can choose a variety of sizes and find the range in which they feel they are too big, too small and just right. My experience shows this is true when the implants are under the muscle. Feeling that you need to go up at least 100 cc means that this process did not work well for you, however.

I recommend a patient wait several months before acting on a desire to have a re-augmentation for size. Most women who want to be a "little" bigger become accustomed to and accepting of their augmentation and do not want to have the expense and slight inconvenience of a re-augmentation (recovery is minimal).

There is also a computer imaging tool that can supplement the decision-making process done with sizers alone, crisalix imaging, which I use in my practice.

The cost of the procedure includes the new implants and the facility and anesthesia fees which are slightly less than the initial augmentation. Any surgical fees would depend on your discussion with your plastic surgeon, such as any pre-operative discussion you might have had of what your surgeon's policy is on charging for re-augmentation for size.

In general the cost is going to be less than the original operation. If you go to a second surgeon, the cost will likely be similar to the cost of the original operation.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Revising augmentation with larger implants

+1

will cost more but the best deals are usually with your original surgeon.  Many will upsize the volume you liked in your unpadded bra when sizing to more accurately achieve the look you are pursuing.  As mentioned, if you're going to go larger, go at least 100 cc's or more, assuming your body can wear it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Implant Replacements for Bigger Size

+1

You should only wait as long until you are absolutely certain that your breast size is too small. Make sure if you replace them that you go at least 100cc to 125cc bigger with new implants. With your original plastic surgeon you will likely get reduced pricing from the initial costs. With another plastic surgeon it is going to be the same cost as a primary breast augmentation.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Implant sizes

+1

I always tell patients that the implants seem smaller when they are in place then they do when you place them on the outside of your chest.  This is even more so the case when they are placed under the muscle.  The best way to get a good price on going larger would be to go back the original surgeon.  Maybe they would cut you a deal.  If you go to a new surgeon, it will probably cost you about the same as the first procedure.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Revision augmentation

+1

The fee for revision augmentation will vary from doctor to doctor. If you had surgery a few weeks ago, I would think that your surgeon would discount the revision for you.

+1

Best suggestion is to suggest patience. Until the implants have settled (3 months usually) they may be high riding, and may appear smaller than they will when they have dropped. 

When I have patients try on implants, I will typically try to chose an implant 5-10% larger than the sizer, since the implants do look a bit smaller when they are placed surgically as compared to the look of the sizers in a bra. 

As to costs, many surgeons will offer a lower professional fee, but no change should be expected in OR, anesthesia and implant costs. All the best. 

Need more time before you become dissatisfied with current breast size

+1

I would encourage you to wait for a few more months.  If the implants were placed under the muscle the implant does initially flatten out.  Given time you may grow to like your current size.  When trying implants in your bra you would want to go about 50 cc larger than the implant selected.  There is an apparent loss of volume in the translation from the implant in your bra to it being surgical placed.