Can I Detox After Getting Botox?

Botox injections and detox

+2

the procedure of chemical detox for substance abuse should not affect the mechanism of Botox injections, but if you are under the influence of agents, than it would not be prudent to have Botox injections as this is an elective treatment for cosmetic improvement and you don't want to incur greater risk of complications such as infection from needle sticks if your immune system is affected by the substance abuse.  Furthermore, if you're not able to make sound decisions by not comprehending the risks, then you shouldn't decide to have a medical treatment.  Waiting until after detox before Botox makes more sense if the choice is still possible.

Detoxing after Botox

+2

Since Botox works locally where it is injected, there is no problem of a detox program after receiving Botox. There should  be no interactions or problems. Dr. Behnam.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox not affected by Detox, and No reversal agent for Botox

+2

Botox injections have no none reversal agent, if that is what you are asking about.  One good thing (though most consider it bad) about Botox is if you are unhappy with results or have an unwanted side effect, the effect will resolve with time.

Detox procedures-- either for drugs or alcohol, or for "healthful cleansing" do not effect Botox results.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Detox and Botox

+2

Botox injections should not either affect or be affected by detoxification.  They are not related to each other at all, and having had Botox treatments should not interfere with any detoxification program.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Detox

+2

Any Detox program should not affect your Botox results.  Botox will last anywhere from 3 to 5 months where it was injected.  A Detox program will not affect this.

David Shafer, MD

Botox and detox

+2

Botox works locally and should have no effect on a detox program to cleanse your body.  Just make sure you got to a reputable person for this.

Can I detox after getting Botox?

+2

There should be no conflict in participating in a detox program such as a fast, or from addiction, after a Botox treatment.  The affects of Botox cosmetic are local. 

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Detox after Botox

+2

Botox injections are very localized, irreversible reactions that all happen within a short distance (about one centimeter) around the treated area. Detoxifying your body after Botox injections will not affect your results.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes, you can detox after BOTOX®

+2

Hi Marietta,

If you mean: "Can I go into detox for drugs, alcohol, etc after having BOTOX®?"
the answer is of course you can. Many people find it helpful to take extra care of their personal appearance during stressful times like that, and BOTOX® can certainly be part of your self-care routine.

If you meant: "Can I detox [in the sense of "reversing the effects of BOTOX®] after having BOTOX®?" the answer is that, like all proteins in your body, BOTOX® [and other formulations of BTX-A] are naturally cleared from your body, generally within 3-12 months, depending on the dose and the area treated. You can speed up the recovery of treated muscles by trying as hard as you can to exercise them, for 5 minutes, 5 times a day.

Kevin Smith MD FRCPC Niagara Falls Ontario

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

Detox is a lay expression and has not specific meaning.

+1

Dear Marietta

In order to provide a meaningful answer to this questions, one needs to know what you me by "detoxification."  If you are talking about, fasting, purging, or other dietary so-called detoxifications, no problems.  If you are talking about ridding yourself of a chemical dependence, again this should not be a problems.  If you are asking if it is possible to get rid of the effect the BOTOX after treatment if you do not like the effects of treatment, then the answer is no.  There is no specific antivenom that will neutralized BOTOX.  However, the product does where off after after two months.