Will a Mini Tummy Tuck Get Rid of my Pouchy Tummy?

Due to past (teens/early 20's; I'm in my mid-twenties now) weight fluctuations, my stomach has become less than desirable in appearance. While continued weight loss/exercise will be my first course of action, I'm almost positive that surgery will still be indicated. I'm very, very uncomfortable with the prospect of the full TT scar. I'm more comfortable with the idea of a mini TT or liposuction. My question is whether you might offer your thoughts on how you would treat such an area.

Mini tummy tuck to get rid of abdominal bulging

+2

A mini tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

In our Miami practice, we have performed tummy tucks on patients of all shapes sizes and walks of life. We strongly feel that has no to patients are like, every tummy tuck should also be unique. When we first meet the patient, we spent a great deal of time talking about understand what their concerns are and learn their aesthetic goals. We then follow this discussion with an in-depth physical examination to assess their tissues and the challenges we may face. Abdominal bulges can most definitely be fixed with body contouring surgery such as a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck. Your best bet is to only work with a board-certified plastic surgeon that has extensive experience in body contouring surgery, liposuction, and tummy tucks. They will be able to assess your abdomen and determine which procedures will help you meet your aesthetic goals.

You need a full TT

+2

Based on yoiur photos, you do need a full TT to get the best result.  There are hardly any patients who truly qualify for a mini if they honestly want the best result.  The scars aren't that different between the two anyway.  You could also do some flank lipo at the same time to reduce the muffin top area.

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Although your concern about the tummy tub scar is understandable,  it is the only procedure that will give you a predictable asthetically pleasing results.

A few words of caution for patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Mini vs full tummy tuck

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to tell for sure, but my experience has been that most patients will benefit mroe form a full tummy tuck than a mini.

Mini versus full tummy tuck

+1

As Dr. Rand has advised, I believe your best results would be achieved wth a full tummy tuck but would recommend an evaluation for a final recommendation. SEE the video in the website link below for a discription of the differences.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Full Tummy Tuck is probably a better option

+1

The simple answer is that you need to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine which technique is right for you. For most women, a full tummy tuck is a better option. Although there may be longer scars, you are able to address loose skin of the upper and lower abdomen and the belly button tends to stay in a more normal anatomic location than with a mini tummy tuck which may lower it.

Given your picture, although you still need a consultation, I would recommend a full tummy tuck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon