What Determines if a Person is a Good Candidate for the Anatomical Cohesive Gel Implants?

Hi There: I'm about 5'4, 133lbs and am currently a full A, small B. I'm scheduled for a BA in May and I really want the anatomical gel implants. According to a study I read done with Allergan, the rupture rate and re-operation rates are significantly lower with this implant as opposed to the the round cohesive gel. However, my surgeon does not recommend the anatomical version for me. He feels that the round are my best option. What makes someone a good candidate for the anatomical option?

Teardrop or round

+1
The two styles of devices commonly used in modern breast augmentation procedures are round and anatomical (or "teardrop") shaped silicone cohesive gel implants. As their descriptive names suggest, round implants have a more circular shape than the teardrop profile of the anatomical style. While many women prefer the more natural appearance of anatomically shaped implants, there are important benefits and drawbacks to consider when choosing between the two different styles.

Depending on your goals and body type, you may be suited to anatomical implants. Anatomic implants are shaped more like natural breasts and keep their shape regardless of whether you're lying on your side or back, standing up, or reclining. They're often recommended for patients with droopier breasts that require a lift — sometimes making a breast lift unnecessary.

One of the possible drawbacks related to teardrop implants is rotation. If the implant is positioned inside an internal pocket that is too large, there is a risk that it can begin rotating over time. This will not only make your breasts look misshapen, but can also cause fluid to develop in the cavity (a seroma) that must be surgically corrected and drained.

Round silicone cohesive gel implants are typically used because they are softer to the touch and capable of creating creating the look you desire, from very natural appearing proportionate breasts, to very full and high breasts. Since their shape changes depending on your position — flatter when you're lying down, settling into a more teardrop shape when standing — they also tend to look more natural during movement. There is no risk of rotation and seroma development. This factor makes them a more common choice in breast augmentation.

In fact, a study was published where plastic surgeons were shown patients either with round or anatomic implants, and were asked which shape of implant each patient had. The results showed that the plastic surgeons could not tell which patient had which shape of implant!

Choosing whether to receive round or anatomically shaped implants is usually a matter of personal goals and physiology. During your consultation your board certified Plastic Surgeon will work with you to not only discuss the type of look you hope to achieve following your enhancement treatment, but to provide advice based on your anatomy as well.

Anatomical Breast Implants

+1

One of the known problems/complications associated with “anatomical” breast implants is the possibility of shifting/rotation of the breast implant.  This rotation of breast implant may cause the breast shape to change,  potentially necessitating further surgery to correct.  For this reason, and with the goal of minimizing complications and need for further surgery, I prefer the use of round implants for almost all patients.

Choose a well experienced plastic surgeon who can show you results before proceeding with surgery.

Best Wishes.