How to Determine Fat from Swelling After Liposuction? (photo)

Hello and thank you for your time! I had abdominal, waist and hip liposuction 4 days ago. I realize final results take time, but I can't tell if the feshiness I feel on my stomach is due to swelling or residual fat. If swollen, would the skin feel hard or soft? Does everyone experience swelling? And relatedly, the lower abdomen above the pubic area is a bit saggy, is there a chance that this will firm up over time? I am 49 years old and did not have an "apron" of fat originally. Thanks!

Swelling after liposuction

+3

all NORMAL! keep ur binder on if you wanna see results sooner than expected and follow all instructions to the dot. it can take 6-8 weeks to see the results. sometimes even longer so hang in there

Liposuction and swelling

+2

Swelling i quite common after liposuction and it will take several months for the tissues to adjust to the changes.  This includes all the sensations that it sounds like you are feeling now.  If you have concerns, you shoudl contact your surgeon.

Postop result from liposuction

+2
Put that binder back on! Stop obsessing! Of course, swelling is par for the course but you aren't helping yourself by wondering and being noncompliant. It will take time for the swelling to resolve and months before the final result can be assessed.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

How to Determine Fat from Swelling After Liposuction?

+2

Only the one after photo, no before. And ONLY 4 days? Allow healing time!! With any type of liposuction there will be swelling. The amounts of swelling depends on a few factors. Your health, the type of liposuction, the aggressiveness of the surgeon to name a few. Best to call your surgeon to discuss these issues. 

Liposuction Swelling

+1
Maximum swelling occurs at about 3-5 days. Most of the swelling will be gone in 2-3 weeks, but some firmness can last 6-8 weeks. The final result can usually be assessed at 3-4 months, so please wait until then to determine if you're happy with your results.

As any discomfort gradually subsides, you should begin gently massaging the treated areas. This is usually possible by day 7-10. Massage will help to decrease the swelling faster and to smooth out any irregularities. Massage each area in all directions using your hands, or, a soft paint roller. Massage should be done once or twice a day for up to 20 minutes.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction swelling

+1

Thank you for asking about your liposuction result at 4 days.

1. The photo looks very good this early after liposuction
  2. Everyone swells after all surgery including liposuction
  3. This is a genetically determined process you cannot change.
  4. Wearing the liposuction garment keeps swelling to a minimum.
  5. Liposuction swelling is worst low in the abdomen - gravity pulls swelling down. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD