Desiring mommy makeover but unsure if I'm a candidate. Please help! So ready! (photo)

I am 5'3" 198 lbs. 49 yo., vertical C-section scar, currently in a comfortable size 12 jeans. Well controlled type 2 diabetic, desiring a MM/BL/BA/lipo. Question: I want to lose 40 lbs by December to have procedure during my Christmas break. Is my goal doable and do I seem like a good candidate? I have not been seen by anyone other than a doctor with the lights on in 26 years. (Picked a heckuva way to show myself!) Ready to come out of the dark...

Desiring mommy makeover but unsure if I'm a candidate.

+2
You are a fine candidate for a mommy makeover that would include at least a breast lift and possibly an augment along with a full tummmy tuck and, if you like, some liposuction. I think you would be surprised how good you will look.

Mommy Makeover

+2
Scooter 64 Congratulations on "coming out"- very brave.

Anyway, Mommy Makeover is not a specific term, and can mean several things.  Let me weigh in on what I might advise you if you were sitting in front of me.

Much will change in 40 lbs.  You have plenty of time to lose the weight so do it slowly and do it smart.  Consult with your doctor and be sure that your diabetes is carefully monitored during this time as you may be able to get off your meds, which will be great.

I think that you will need a breast lift for sure.  You may want a breast augmentation but this adds risk to the procedure which is increased with diabetes.  Perhaps this should be considered during a later procedure to ensure your safety and to maximize wound healing- specifically minimize tissue loss, infection, and implant loss.

Mommy makeover may include any or all of the following: breast aug, breast lift, breast aug with lift combined wit abdominal liposuction and/or tummy tuck.  Therefore "Mommy Makeover" is a nonspecific term that is very popular.

In your case, you have a small panniculus (hanging skin/fat apron).  Losing weigh (fat, not protein) will likely make this worse.  Your skin doesn't have much capacity to shrink down after liposuction, so I would tell you to expect a tummy tuck rather than liposuction.

Look at this as great news rather than a setback.  You are making great strides in your self esteem as measured by your coming out, and setting realistic goals for weight loss and improving your health.  Your brass ring will be cosmetic rehab with surgery.  Although you may not want to hear what I have said, the operations have the potential to give you a figure that you may not have imagined, and set you on a course for great self esteem for the second half of your life- not to mention better health.

Its all about attitude.

Best to you.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Mommy Makeover

+2
Dear scooter64, It is time for you to come out of the dark!! You are a very good candidate for a mommy make over. You could achieve a better body contour with liposuction, flatten your abdomen with a tummy tuck (which also would eliminate that vertical scar and replace with a horizontal scar very easy to hide) and you will also need a breast lift probably with implants to get them more symmetrical and  full on the upper pole. You have plenty of time to loose a few pounds and get a better condition before your procedures. If you have any question please feel free to contact me, I am more than happy to able to help you.

Dr. Kelvin Eusebio

Kelvin Eusebio, MD

Mommy Makeover Candidate

+2
Thank you for your question. You are definitely a candidate for a mommy makeover.  Additional weight loss will enhance your results.  You will  likely need a breast lift with or without augmentation and an abdominoplasty with lipouction.  Fat transfer can be performed for gluteal contouring depending on your contour after weight loss. Final recommendations will depend on a physical exam and where you end up after loosing additiona weight.  Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

When is the right time for a Mommy Makeover?

+2
Nothing like going all out when you come out!  I think you have the right idea.  I would continue to work on losing weight to get your BMI under 30.  This will help reduce your risks of complications and make your recovery easier.
40# surely seems doable by December.  Good luck!

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Desiring mommy makeover but unsure if I'm a candidate. Please help! So ready!

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Yes, based on your description  and photographs, you will be an excellent candidate for “mommy makeover” surgery at some point. These procedures will likely include breast lifting plus/minus breast augmentation as well as tummy tuck surgery. You are wise to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding. Doing so, will improve the safety of the operations as well as the outcomes achieved. In regards to  achieving the best outcomes of the planned procedure,   select your plastic surgeon carefully. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Again, I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.

Since you considering undergoing a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Be sure to complete your weight loss before a mommy makeover

+1
Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss.  The mommy makeover typically includes a full tummy tuck, possibly liposuction, and breast augmentation often with breast lift.  These procedures can create dramatic an excellent improvement in body image.  However it is very important that you complete your weight loss before having surgery.  If you lose weight after your surgery the results can be ruined.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1
I think losing weight prior to surgery is reasonable. If you get medical clearance and your surgeon is an expert at all of these procedures and can keep the total operative time to 4 hrs or so, this may be reasonable.

Mommy makeover candidate?

+1
I was unable to view your photos.  please repost.   but I would suggest you wait until you've reached your goal weight before opting for cosmetic surgery.  please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon when you are ready.  best wishes.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Probably a fine candidate for a mommy makeover.

+1
The provided photographs don't tell me much but is no further pregnancies are planned my guess is that you would benefit dramatically from a mommy makeover procedure.