Mini Tummy Tuck or Full Tummy Tuck - Who Decides?

Will the desicison be completely up to me to get a mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck? I may need a full to be completely flat,but I don't want a flat stomach just improvement of my saggy skin! I have one 3 year old and I'm 23 I can't take another day unhappy with this stomach, it's very upseting. I would like a mini because I would like kids in the near future but I can't go 5 more years unhappy with my stomach.

Mini vs full tummy tuck

+2

I think it is too much responsibility for the patient to decide whether they are a good candidate for a mini or standard (full) tummy tuck procedure. I recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest possible option for you. A full tummy tuck would provide a better result. It involves repair of the rectus muscles and removal of excess and loose skin. A mini tummy tuck only improves the area below the belly button providing a minimal result. However, if you are considering pregnancy in the near future I would suggest waiting until afterwards for any surgery.

Mini Tummy tuck or full...?

+1

When a patient wants to have an abdominoplasty it is best to consult with your surgeon to see what would give you the best results and then decide together with the surgeon.  Mini abdominoplasty is performed when only the skin under the umbilicus is loose and needs to be tightened, therefore not many patients are candidates for this procedure.  Many patients, after giving birth or who have lost a lot of weight, have loose skin above and below the umbilicus and need their abdominal muscles tightened, so a full abdominoplasty is preformed.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Full vs mini tummy tuck

+1

If you really need a full TT, there is no good reason to do a mini as it will make the upper abdomen stick out more when the lower ab muscles are tightened.  Even though it may be hard, it is best to wait until you are done with having kids and do the right operation, once only.  Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck..mini or full? It is up to the patient.

+1

The decision is ultimately up to you.  If you need a full and only get a mini you may not be happy with your results.  I advise patients to wait until after they are done having children before undergoing abdominal surgery.